RE: [WWWEDU] The student-school disconnect

  • Greene, Dr. Patrick
    Message 1 of 78 , Nov 3, 2003
      From: Art Wolinsky [mailto:awolinsky@...]
      >Instead of tests that measure useless factual knowledge, they need replaced by tests that measure learning.

      Putting my keyboard where my mouth is, I would like to share a more modern means of evaluating scholars (Ted has constrained me to use this most appropriate term) that fits with what we know about multiple intelligences and learning styles. This would be a state-wide web-based electronic portfolio system geared to the state standards that are applicable for an individual student. Each student would upload artifact(s) that show his/her mastery of each standard in the particular learning level at which s/he is working. From this point:

      1. The teacher of record would evaluate each artifact online, according to a scale developed by the state Dept. of Education to evaluate online artifacts.
      2. Parents would have password access to their student(s) artifacts and evaluations.
      3. Parents would also have access to other student artifacts in the same grade level, both from his/her child's class, and from other classrooms around the state. But, the student identities would not be accessible by interested parents. They would have artifacts to compare to their child's artifacts, but would not be able to identify the other students.
      4. This facility would be open to administrators of all ilks also = access to artifacts but access to students identities only from their school, and only students under their auspices.
      5. Teachers would be randomly assigned to evaluate other student artifacts from around the state. This would be developed to spread the evaluation of student work evenly among the state's teaching cadre.

      We've been talking about trashing the 19th century evaluation method called standardized testing and replacing it with something more 21st Century. I would appreciate if those of you interested in things like this would give me on or offlist feedback. BTW, I don't consider this to be a pie-in-the-sky concept. The College of Ed at FGCU is using a LIvetext (college.livetext.com) online evaluation system now, as are many COE around the country. So, the technology is already here. How long will it take the education monopoly to realize this fact?

      Patrick Greene, PhD
      Florida Gulf Coast University
      pgreene@...
    • tednellen
      Message 78 of 78 , Dec 2, 2003
        Is anyone aware of this being done in Maine after that massive influx of
        laptops to middle schoolers a few years ago?

        I have to check with a friend in Idaho about this as well, as she was
        working on such a project. I know Idaho's six colleges are very active in
        teacher trianing and this online assessment. A former pres of cosn or one
        of those orgs is a leader in the Idaho program: Rogers?

        ted

        On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Greene, Dr. Patrick wrote:

        > From: Janice Friesen [mailto:jfriesen@...]
        > Let's work on seeing something like this happen!
        >
        > Thanks for supporting the idea I have been shopping around for the last 3 or 4 years. The unfortunate aspect of this idea is that it needs a fairly sophisticated and robust database system. Both LiveText and TaskStream now market extensive database systems for online electronic portfolios to be posted by students and to be evaluated by teachers (faculty). We have just started using LiveText here. It would take the expertise of one of these guys to produce a statewide electronic portfolio system. And before that can be initiated, you've got to have someone at the state level with the authority to champion this cause. I guess it could be done at the local level. Maybe LiveText or TaskStream could be convinced to adapt their system to this comparison function.
        >
        > Patrick Greene, PhD
        > Florida Gulf Coast University
        > pgreene@...

        Ted Nellen 8-) English
        Information Technology HS http://www.tnellen.com/iths/
        Cybrarian http://www.tnellen.com/ted/
        CyberEnglish http://www.tnellen.net/cyberenglish/
        CyberSchool http://www.tnellen.com/alt/

        One must learn by doing the thing. For though you think you know
        it, you have no certainty until you try.

        ~ Sophocles ~ (BC 495-406, Greek Tragic Poet)