Re: [WWWEDU] does anyone have a cyberharassment policy?

  • Rick Spitzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
      wwwedu@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >I'm wondering if within the context of anyone's school bullying
      >and/or harassment policies that cyberharassment is covered. (Or under
      >acceptable internet use?) Does someone have an example of such a
      >policy?
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >Laura Parker Roerden
      >curriculum consultant
      >Barnstorm Consulting
      >lproerden@...

      This is one of those issues that should have nothing to do with
      technology. Harassment is a behavior and it should not matter what the
      format is. (Notes, phone calls, face to face, email, chat rooms, etc.)

      All too often we look at behavior differently because it is related
      technology. I believe the policy should say harassment, period. The same
      is true for other issues as well (pornography, slander, plagiarism,
      vandalism, etc.) We need to deal with the behavior, not the format.

      Rick Spitzer
      Director of Technology
      Eagle County School District RE 50J
      P.O. Box 740
      757 East 3rd Street
      Eagle, CO 81631
      W:970-328-1931
      F: 970-328-1024
      rspitzer@...
      http://eagleschools.net

      TIE Board - Registrar
      Technology in Education 2003 Conference
      Copper Mountain, CO
      Tues, June 24, - Fri, June 27, 2003
      http://www.tie-online.org
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
        I basically agree with Rick. However, I also have provisions in my
        recommended Internet use policy/regulations that specifically address
        inappropriate language on the Internet. This material is online at
        http://www.responsiblenetizen.com/srui.html. Scroll down for the link to the
        regulations. It is section G 2.

        But be careful with respect to cyberharassment that occurs off-campus. Such
        communication is protected free speech and schools cannot discipline for
        such speech unless a substantial disruption is caused at school by such
        speech. In such cases it is far better to counsel the parents of the victim
        how to deal with such situations. While a disciplinary response is not
        acceptable, it is certainly OK for an administrator to seek copies of such
        communication and have an in-depth conversation with the offender's parents
        and share the communications with them.

        I am working on an online class for educators that will address both the
        psycho/social aspects of such online behavior as well comprehensive
        school-based strategies to address all of the safe and responsible use
        issues in school. Hopefully the course will be ready to go next fall. (Why
        do I always try to get so much work done over the summer with 3 kids at home
        and I wanna go camping?)

        My book, Computer Ethics, Etiquette, and Safety for the 21st Century Student
        also addresses these issues. It is published by ISTE.

        Center for Advanced Technology in Education
        University of Oregon, College of Education
        E-mail: nwillard@...

        Responsible Netizen Institute
        URL:http://responsiblenetizen.org

        6/11/03 1:39 PM, Rick Spitzer at rspitzer@... wrote:

        > wwwedu@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >> I'm wondering if within the context of anyone's school bullying
        >> and/or harassment policies that cyberharassment is covered. (Or under
        >> acceptable internet use?) Does someone have an example of such a
        >> policy?
        >>
        >> Thanks!
        >>
        >> Laura Parker Roerden
        >> curriculum consultant
        >> Barnstorm Consulting
        >> lproerden@...
        >
        > This is one of those issues that should have nothing to do with
        > technology. Harassment is a behavior and it should not matter what the
        > format is. (Notes, phone calls, face to face, email, chat rooms, etc.)
        >
        > All too often we look at behavior differently because it is related
        > technology. I believe the policy should say harassment, period. The same
        > is true for other issues as well (pornography, slander, plagiarism,
        > vandalism, etc.) We need to deal with the behavior, not the format.

        > Rick Spitzer
        > Director of Technology
        > Eagle County School District RE 50J
        > P.O. Box 740
        > 757 East 3rd Street
        > Eagle, CO 81631
        > W:970-328-1931
        > F: 970-328-1024
        > rspitzer@...
        > http://eagleschools.net
        >
        > TIE Board - Registrar
        > Technology in Education 2003 Conference
        > Copper Mountain, CO
        > Tues, June 24, - Fri, June 27, 2003
        > http://www.tie-online.org
        >
        > To access the archive, please visit the list homepage:
        > http://edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

      • Laura Parker Roerden
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2003
          Hi, Rick. That's a really important point. I couldn't agree more. I'm
          wondering if there might be some special protocols, however, for how
          to deal with cyberharassment. (For example, what if the student is
          receiving email from someone at his school address, but it's from an
          outside address. It might be a student; it might not. What are the
          investigative responsibilities or reporting responsibilities?that
          sort of thing).

          Thanks!
          Laura

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2003
            wwwedu@yahoogroups.com writes:
            >Hi, Rick. That's a really important point. I couldn't agree more. I'm
            >wondering if there might be some special protocols, however, for how
            >to deal with cyberharassment. (For example, what if the student is
            >receiving email from someone at his school address, but it's from an
            >outside address. It might be a student; it might not. What are the
            >investigative responsibilities or reporting responsibilities?that
            >sort of thing).
            >
            >Thanks!
            >Laura

            Good questions, but the reality is the same. If a person who is not a
            student is harrassing a student by using notes, phone calls, face to face,
            email, chat rooms, etc. How would it be handled. Again, there should be no
            difference in how it is treated just because technology is involved.

            Tues, June 24, - Fri, June 27, 2003
            http://www.tie-online.org
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2003
              Because Nancy forgot to pay the fee for renewal of her domain name until
              they shut it down yesterday. Give me a break folks -- 3 kids in elementary
              school and today was their last day. . . field trips, school events,
              presents for retiring teachers, <sigh> ;-)

              The bill has been paid. The site should be back up soon. Fortunately I did
              not allow enough time to lapse for the domain name to be purchased by a porn
              site.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2003
                However, in the case of an online harasser as compared to a school bully,
                there is documented evidence of such harassment. ;-)

                But it is important to recognize that many times teens will be reticent to
                report cyberharassment. Frequently such harassment emerges when one person
                wants to back out of an online relationship. Things may have occurred within
                the context of that relationship that may be embarrassing to the victim.
                Many victims of harassment feel that they are at fault. Frequently they will
                not report.

                In a study conducted by Girl Scouts indicated that 30% of teens had been
                sexually harassed in chat rooms. Of that 30%, only *7%* told an adult.

                I know that school librarians and computer lab monitors already have too
                much to do, but staff should be aware that if they see a student who looks
                distressed when reading e-mail, this may be cause for some form of
                intervention.

                This, of course, then raises issues related to privacy and the conditions
                under which school staff may review student e-mail.

                Let's say you have a student who is known to be at risk emotionally. Suppose
                a librarian sees this student at the computer looking as though she is under
                considerable distress. Suppose the student quickly turns off the screen when
                the librarian approaches and denies any concerns, but the distress is
                obvious. And suppose the school counselor also gets no where.

                Does someone in the school suggest or authorize an evaluation of this
                student's e-mail? When are concerns related to the student's well-being
                outweighed by concerns over privacy? Do school employees have a duty of care
                since they have notice that something is happening related to this student's
                Internet use that is causing distress, and the potential of cyberharassment,
                involvement with a predator, or other similar concern is clearly evident?

                Nancy (who does not suggest that there are clear answers to these questions)

                Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.