Re: [WWWEDU] Using Tapped In--Little Help

  • John F. Adsit
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
      As I recall, BlackBoard does offer limited free service at its main
      site: www.blackboard.com.

      I used it several years ago when I was testing it out to see if it works.

      We use the site license now for our school, running it off our own
      server. They won't like me mentioning this in a public forum, but I
      will tell you that their recent "upgrade" (Release 6) has been a real
      problem; it was supposed to be done in December, and they are still
      having trouble making some of its features work, despite three major
      patches since then.

      KAREN MICHAELSON wrote:

      >I thought that Blackboard required a site license, and that the license was
      >fairly expensive. Have they changed their policies?
      >
      >Karen L. Michaelson, Ph.D., Director
      >TINCAN (The Inland Northwest Community Access Network)
      >1011 West First Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201
      >(509)744-0972; email: kmichaelson@...
      >

      >Deborah Phelan wrote:
      >

      >>>Hi Jennifer
      >>>

      >>Have you considered using Blackboard (www.blackboard.com)?
      >>
      >>I work in Blackboard creating coursework for college professors.
      >>
      >>This free service for educators (including K-12) provides users with
      >>a virtual classroom, room for discussion boards, email drops, a place
      >>for posting materials, resources for creating different forms of
      >>assessment, etc.
      >>
      >>I am just now investigating if they also provide within the virtual
      >>classroom the capability to project materials that I so like about
      >>Tappedin.
      >>
      >>And I don't know if this will meet your needs re proxy server. But it
      >>might be worth a try.
      >>
      >>There are other options as well for 'virtual classrooms' so let me
      >>know if you need further assistance.
      >>
      >>Yes, the people at TappedIn are just magnificent. Say hello to BJ for
      >>me. My organization FluidArts has an office there and we began using
      >>it for meetings of participants from differnt locations around the
      >>world. BJ was just wonderful in helping participants find their way
      >>into the environment ...
      >>
      >>Additionally, if you need any simple instructions for using
      >>Blackboard should you choose to go this route, let me know. As part
      >>of my course development work, I am creating instructions for even
      >>the least computer savvy users.
      >>
      >>Deborah
      >>
      >>Deborah Phelan <Deborahphelan@...>
      >>

      >WWWEDU, The Web and Education Mailing List

      >To access the archive, please visit the list homepage:
      >http://edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

      John Adsit
      JeffcoNet Academy - Online Education
      Jefferson County Public Schools