Re: [WWWEDU] Girl Scout study

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2003
      "Greene, Dr. Patrick" wrote:

      > From: Nancy Willard [mailto:nwillard@...]
      >
      > Great discussion topic, Nancy. Thanks for introducing it. Personally, I
      > can't believe that anyone that has ever involved themselves with wedu,
      > doesn't know your take on filtering.

      I also sent the message to LMnet and I am fairly new on that list. ;-)

      > With the Girl Scout chat room discussion, I think there are human
      > considerations we should keep in mind (yes, I know this is my neo-liberal
      > thinking). New media, new ways of communication and just normal human
      > progress always creates new morals or mores if you will. This is almost
      > always understood better by the newer generation and less so by the parental
      > generations. Young kids are almost always less nonplused by 'sexual
      > harassment' than the adults who must supervise them.

      I agree with this perception. And also recall an AAUW study in the early 90's
      that indicated a significantly greater percentage of girls had been sexually
      harassed in school. From which I conclude chat rooms are safer environments.
      (just kidding folks) I think most girls are able to deal with the online
      harassment, as also was indicated in the GS study. My concerns in this area are
      basically three: 1. the possible emotional damage to a younger girl who does
      not expect/know how to deal with this situation; 2. the girl who has not
      protected her privacy adequately in th context of an aggressive harasser; and
      3. The girls who are seeking such "engagement."

      I continue to be most concerned about the level of adequate instruction and
      simplistic safety rules that say "if you are uncomfortable, tell a parent."
      This is one of AOL's new Safety Clicks rules. I do think that it is important
      to get more conversation between knowledgable adults and teens related to
      safety concerns. Perhaps we adults would be more the learners in this
      situation, but there may be some areas where we have some insight.

      I am also concerned about the inclination of girls to trust their "online
      buddies" with whom they have communicated with for awhile. This seems to me to
      be the greatest area of concern related to sophisticated predators who are
      willing to take their time to establish a relationship.

      Center for Advanced Technology in Education
      University of Oregon, College of Education
      E-mail: nwillard@...