Special Social Studies forum session

  • Michael Hutchison
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2003
      You may know the story of the early Civil Rights movement, the March on
      Washington, and many other facets of African Americans' struggle for
      equality. However, one of the more overlooked leaders of the movement
      was Bayard Ruskin, who led the first freedom rides in the early 1960s,
      taught nonviolent direct action to Martin Luther King, Jr., and
      organized the 1963 March on Washington.

      Ruskin is the subject of a soon to be aired documentary called, "Brother
      Outsider: The Life of Bayard Ruskin", and the documentary is the subject
      of a SPECIAL TAPPED IN Social Studies forum, set for 7 p.m. Eastern (4
      p.m. Pacific) Tuesday, January 14. TAPPED IN is located at
      http://www.tappedin.org. (Please note that this special session is a
      departure from our regular session date and time.)

      The documentary premiers on PBS's "POV" series at 10 p.m. (Eastern),
      Martin Luther King Day (January 20). (Check your local PBS station
      listings for exact date and time.) The documentary is an official
      selection in the documentary competition at the 2003 Sundance Film
      Festival.

      Joining us for this special session will be Bennett Singer, who
      co-produced and co-directed the documentary. Bennett will share
      information about the film as well as insights into Rustin's life and
      legacy. Persons interested in finding out more about the documentary
      can check the POV site (http://www.pov.org), or the official site for
      the documentary (http://www.rustin.org/).

      As always, TAPPED IN help desk personnel will be on hand to assist new
      users. It's suggested that new users log in at least 10 minutes prior
      to the session to be assisted to get to where the session will take
      place. Interested persons can log in to TAPPED IN as guests, or are
      also welcome to become members of TAPPED IN. (Joining is easy, and
      free.)

      Again, please note the special day and time for this session. Persons
      with questions or wanting more information are welcome to e-mail Michael
      Hutchison off-list.

      Sincerely,

      Michael Hutchison

      --
      Michael Hutchison
      2002 ISTE Outstanding Technology-Using Educator Award winner
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 16 7:07 PM
        Hello, everyone,

        A new instructional web resource called "Ancient Mesopotamia: This History,
        Our History" will be featured in a special session set for 8 p.m. Eastern (5
        p.m. Pacific) April 26, in TAPPED IN (http://www.tappedin.org
        <http://www.tappedin.org/> ).

        Joining me for this session on this outstanding resource will be Wendy Ennes
        E-Learning coordinator of the Oriental Institute Museum of the University of
        Chicago. Wendy will give us a virtual tour of the resource as well as be on
        hand to answer questions about how we can use this outstanding resource in
        our classrooms during the rest of this school year, or at the start of next
        academic year.

        As always, TAPPED IN help desk staff will be on-hand prior to the start of
        the session to assist new users. It's recommended that new users log in at
        least 10 minutes prior to the start of the session in order to be directed
        to the session location.

        Persons with questions or wanting more information are invited to e-mail
        Michael Hutchison off-list.

        Sincerely yours,

        Michael Hutchison

        Michael Hutchison

        Social Studies Teacher

        Lincoln High School, Vincennes, Indiana

        Personal Web Page: http://www.vcsc.k12.in.us/staff/mhutch/ice2000

        Member, Indiana Computer Educators Board of Directors

        2006 Indiana Council for the Social Studies Special Service Award winner

        2003 Lincoln High School Distinguished Alumni

        2002 International Society for Technology in Education Outstanding
        Technology-Using Educator

        2002 Indiana Computer Educators Teacher of the Year