Re: Input for Teaching Teachers Web Design

  • Roberta (Robin) Sullivan
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2002
      I co-teach a course "Web Design for Education" which is structured for
      teachers learning to integrate the Internet into thier lessons.

      The course web site can be viewed at
      <http://www.gse.buffalo.edu/fas/sullivan/635>. The resources section
      contains a good collection of educational web sites, tutorials, and other
      useful tidbits. Feel free to borrow anything that seems helpful. Also take a
      look at last year's schedule
      <http://www.gse.buffalo.edu/fas/sullivan/635/schedule-old.htm> as there are
      many additional readings that are relevant.

      Robin

      wwwedu@yahoogroups.com wrote:Message: 2

      > Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:42:48 -0000
      > From: "b30davis" <bdavis@...>
      > Subject: Input for Teaching Teachers Web Design
      >
      > I'm looking for input for teaching teachers how to design web pages
      > for their curriculum. Examples would be having teachers create web
      > pages to illustrate their lessons, projects, quizzes, etc... The web
      > editors I have to select from are MS Word, Macromedia Dreamweaver,
      > and Netscape Composer. The teachers I'm going to be teaching have
      > very little background in creating web pages. Any input would be
      > greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Brian Davis
      > <bdavis@...>

      Roberta (Robin) Sullivan
      Instructional Design Coordinator
      Walkway Technology Node

      "People like the opinions to which
      they have become accustomed ...
      and this prevents them from
      finding the truth, for they cling
      to the opinions of habit." - Maimonides
    • mark_grabe@und.nodak.edu
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 30, 2002
        Be very careful when downloading this product. When I attempted to download 1st Page, it was not available from the URL provided here. The mirror site provided a file that generated an alarm from my antivirus program (js.windowbomb).

        Mark Grabe
        mark_grabe@...
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
          Brian,
          Don't forget to include accessibility. Some states (particularly Maryland)
          require that schools must consider accessibility when purchasing educational
          materials such as hardware, online learning products, educational software.

          In Maryland, teachers will be required to not only purchase accessible
          online learning, but create accessible websites. It makes sense to consider
          the needs of all end users when creating educational materials.

          It's hard to go back and try to retrofit an existing site for accessibility.
          It's not too hard to design an accessible site (from the get-go) . This is
          called Universal Design.

          There are many great sites that detail how to create accessible web pages.
          Some of my favorites include:

          World Wide Web Consortium Web Accessibility Initiative
          http://www.w3.org/wai

          W3 Getting started
          http://www.w3.org/WAI/gettingstarted/

          W3Quick Tips
          http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/QuickTips/

          Designing More Usable Web Sites
          http://trace.wisc.edu/world/web/

          IBM's Accessibility Guidelines
          http://www-3.ibm.com/able/accessweb.html

          IBM's Understanding Disabilities when designing websites
          http://www-3.ibm.com/able/disability.html

          The Bobby Accessibility Checker
          http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby
          The system designed by CAST (and acquired by WatchFire) allows you type your
          URL and have BOBBY check it for accessibility problems.

          And of course the Government standards (Section 508 of the Rehabilitation
          Act)
          http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.22.htm

          Good Luck,
          Patricia Hendricks
          phendric@...

          MARTEC

        • aarchamb428
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 25, 2002
            Thank you for posting this! I will be teaching my first course @
            SUNY-Cortland in the spring on using new media in the classroom. Some
            of the information you have provided fits the structure of my course.
            I had planned to do discussions combined w/ hands-on learning of
            different software programs. Your site gave me some ideas of
            discussion topics that I hadn't considered.

            I appreciate you sharing...when I get my course up and running, I
            will return the favor!

            Cheers -

            Amy Archambault
            Syracuse University - Syrtis