Re: [WWWEDU] questions about spam

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
      Hi Pharra. Thanks.

      One of the reasons I recommend against Hotmail and the like is porn spam. But
      what I am wondring is whether districts that are providing kids with e-mail
      accounts (that is K12 domain addresses) are having difficulties with porn spam.
      Because if they are, this is an issue that should be addressed not with
      filtering software, but with prosecution.

      (Off the subject, but on the point story. At NECC when I was presenting on
      filtering software, a woman told a story. It seems that the school library is
      also the community/public library. So one day a man came in and sat down at a
      centralized computer and started downloading porn. "We have to have filtering
      to deal with guys like these," she said. "No," I responded. "You needed to call
      the police. Just like you would have done if this guy came in and started
      showing himself at school." One publicized prosecution in this town and the
      problem would have been dealt with. Geeze.)

      So Pharra, have you ever requested the blocked URL reports for your high
      school? What percentage of sites that are blocked do you think are porn or
      other inappropriate sites? What percentage are perfectly appropriate or even
      high quality educational sites? Now don't you think that would make an
      interesting study???

      Center for Advanced Technology in Education
      University of Oregon, College of Education
      E-mail: nwillard@...

      Responsible Netizen Institute
      URL:http://responsiblenetizen.org

    • Pharra J. DeWindt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
        Nancy Willardon 8/13/02 5:51 AM, Nancy Willard at
        nwillard@... wrote:

        <Text Cut>

        > So Pharra, have you ever requested the blocked URL reports for your high
        > school? What percentage of sites that are blocked do you think are porn or
        > other inappropriate sites? What percentage are perfectly appropriate or even
        > high quality educational sites? Now don't you think that would make an
        > interesting study???
        >
        > Nancy

        Hi Nancy!

        You have raised some interesting questions that I will forward to the head
        of our technology department. I have tried before to get information from
        them about why we chose BESS and why we do not have access to information
        about the internet services we use. From what I can gather the district
        chose BESS because it is in use in many school districts and a personal
        favorite of the tech folks at BOCES. The district usually gives the
        generalized answer that they depend on BESS to decide what is appropriate or
        not for the district.

        What I have learned by trial and error is that sites that allow for access
        to search engines that are not filtered are automatically blocked from
        schools. That is why my site had difficulties. I had one search engine
        listed, Dogpile, that they decided was inappropriate.

        I am also wondering if the filtering companies have different levels of
        filters, say one level for K-6 and another for 7-12. I have not found a
        satisfactory answer to that yet. I don't think they do, but I can not say
        for sure.

        I will let you know if and when I get an answer back to our questions.

        All my best,

        Pharra