Cyber Savvy - student-led, positive norms digital safety curriculum

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2013
      Cyber Savvy is a student-led, positive norms approach to teach upper
      intermediate, middle, and high school students (grades 5 – 12) about
      digital safety, including effective digital decision-making, safe
      posting of personal information, digital relationships, social
      networking, cyberbullying, and digital dating/exploitation.

      Cyber Savvy makes use of an online survey to gain insight into student
      norms, strategies, and experience with negative incidents both as a
      target and a witness. One version of the survey is for grades 5 to 8 the
      other for grades 7 to 12. The difference is how issues related to
      digital dating and exploitation are handled.

      Students use this data to support student-led instruction and positive
      norms/effective skills messaging. Safe school personnel use the data for
      needs assessment of digital risk. Repeat use of the survey allows the
      school to assess effectiveness in increasing positive norms and
      effective strategies and decreasing victimization and distress.

      Cyber Savvy fully addresses the issues schools are required to address
      under the Children’s Internet Protection Act.

      You can download the full program description here:
      http://www.embracecivility.org/cyber-savvy/

      Obviously, schools are not going to be jumping into digital safety
      curriculum at this time. But I have already had 7 schools that have
      asked to be able to collect the survey data, so they will be prepared
      for next fall. So I decided to offer this opportunity to a small group
      of other schools. More information about this is available on the noted
      page. I would also love to discuss the possibility with any of you on
      Lm-Net.

      There is going to be a release of a study of the effectiveness of the
      DOJ-funded Internet safety programs sometime soon. I will just let you
      guess how effective the researchers found the provision of inaccurate
      fear-based messages, with simplistic rules against normative digital
      behavior. :( Cyber Savvy is thoroughly based in the research on digital
      risk and harm - and uses an approach to reduce risk behavior that has
      demonstrated effectiveness in other areas of risk. I hope you will at
      least look over the program and consider this.

      Best,

      Embrace Civility in the Digital Age
      http://embracecivility.org
      nwillard@...

      Check out our new program:
      Be a Friend ~ Lend a Hand
      A Student Leadership - Positive Norms Approach
      to Reduce Bullying & Limit It's Harmful Effects