for the record

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2010
      I have included much of what I wrote to this group, related to
      curriculum producers and others who are using stories of youth suicide
      as a way to try to prevent cyberbullying, in several passages in the
      book I am writing. I just sent these passages to the Executive Director
      of the American Association of Suicidology.

      Here is his response:

      What you have written is sound, appropriate, and on target.

      Lanny Berman, Ph.D., ABPP
      Executive Director
      American Association of Suicidology

      This group may recall that a while back I reported on a situation where
      I testified before a House Judiciary subcommittee that was considering a
      bill that would have provided $25 M to DOJ to provide to organizations
      that wanted to produce Internet safety curriculum. This bill was backed
      strongly by Parry Aftab, Web Wise Kids, and others.

      I provided the committee with accurate data on Internet risk. Because
      all of the curriculum and materials thus far funded by DOJ is not, in my
      opinion, effective and because I do not think the federal government
      should be financially supporting the development of curriculum, I
      suggested this was not appropriate. I further suggested that funding was
      needed - to be distributed through mental health, education, and justice
      - to address the more significant risks faced by a minority of youth.

      It appeared that some of the Internet safety organizations that were
      backing the bill, who knew in advance what I was going to say, worked
      with its sponsor, Rep Wasserman Schultz. In the hearing she told the
      committee that I was downplaying the risks and had "no credibility." So
      I do have some insight into being "attacked." I did, almost
      singlehandedly, defeat this bill.

      I will continue to address these issues, to the best of my ability, in a
      manner that is grounded in the research insight and effective prevention
      practices.

      Resources for Cyber Savvy Schools:
      Cyber-Secure Schools in a Web 2.0 World
      Cyberbullying, Cyberthreats & Sexting
      Cyber Savvy Teachers: Internet Safety Education