Lesson Plan: 'No Phone Zone' | Teaching Teens the Dangers of Texting and Driving
- The creation of this lesson plan was inspired by an episode
<http://www.oprah.com/packages/no-phone-zone.html> of The Oprah
Winfrey Show that focused on the dangers of distracted driving.
The "No Phone Zone" lesson plan
teaching-teens-the-dangers-of-texting-driving.html> will educate
students on the dangers associated with distracted driving (texting
while driving, talking on the phone while driving).
According to a 2009 Pew Internet Study:
* One in three (34%) texting teens ages 16-17 say they have texted
while driving. That translates into 26% of all American teens ages
* Half (52%) of cell-owning teens ages 16-17 say they have talked on
a cell phone while driving. That translates into 43% of all American
teens ages 16-17;
* 48% of all teens ages 12-17 say they have been in a car when the
driver was texting;
* 40% say they have been in a car when the driver used a cell phone
in a way that put themselves or others in danger.
I've released this lesson plan under Creative Commons,
tive-commons.html> so it's free to use and share with other educators.
If anyone has any questions or feedback.....let me know! Thanks!
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]