Lesson Plan: 'No Phone Zone' | Teaching Teens the Dangers of Texting and Driving

  • prof_derekeb
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2010
      The creation of this lesson plan was inspired by an episode
      <http://www.oprah.com/packages/no-phone-zone.html> of The Oprah
      Winfrey Show that focused on the dangers of distracted driving.

      The "No Phone Zone" lesson plan
      <http://www.debaird.net/blendededunet/2010/03/lesson-plan-no-phone-zone-\
      teaching-teens-the-dangers-of-texting-driving.html> will educate
      students on the dangers associated with distracted driving (texting
      while driving, talking on the phone while driving).

      According to a 2009 Pew Internet Study:

      * One in three (34%) texting teens ages 16-17 say they have texted
      while driving. That translates into 26% of all American teens ages
      16-17;

      * Half (52%) of cell-owning teens ages 16-17 say they have talked on
      a cell phone while driving. That translates into 43% of all American
      teens ages 16-17;

      * 48% of all teens ages 12-17 say they have been in a car when the
      driver was texting;

      * 40% say they have been in a car when the driver used a cell phone
      in a way that put themselves or others in danger.
      I've released this lesson plan under Creative Commons,
      <http://www.debaird.net/blendededunet/2009/11/introduction-to-using-crea\
      tive-commons.html> so it's free to use and share with other educators.
      If anyone has any questions or feedback.....let me know! Thanks!