Cyber Savvy - Internet safety education materials

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hi all,

      Welcome to the new year. :) I am exceptionally pleased to announce the
      availability of my new materials addressing Internet safety education.
      They are on this page: <http://csriu.org/professionals/>

      All of the materials I will be rolling out this year are grounded in the
      concepts set forth in Cyber Savvy Schools - a document on the site -
      which will soon have a short presentation that should be useful in
      educating educational leaders. Three key concepts:

      * 21st Century Learning Environments - with effective Internet use
      management practices that incorporate Web 2.0 interactive technologies.

      * Universal Digital Media Safety, Citizenship, and Literacy Instruction
      - what all young people need to know to make safe and responsible
      choices when using digital media.

      * Targeted Risk Prevention and Intervention - targeted programs to
      address the concerns of the minority of young people who are at greater
      risk online.

      A key portion of my first set of materials - addressing universal
      education - are now on this site. This includes a full Scope and
      Sequence for Internet safety and citizenship education - K-1, 2-3, 4-5,
      6-8 and 9-12. The subjects addressed include:

      * Foundation - Making good choices, keeping life in balance, responsible
      posting information, and safely interacting with others.

      * Sites and Technologies - Computer security and scams, use policies,
      avoiding online porn, market profiling and advertising, and social
      networking safety.

      * Specific Risks - Unsafe online communities, electronic aggression, and
      risky relationship and sexual activities.

      Student handouts for the grade groupings are also provided. All of this
      material is provided with no charge for reproduction for non-profit
      educational purposes. I am working on 45 minute video presentations for
      the middle and high school level - narrated by my teen kids.

      I have almost completed a full 2 hour video presentation (narrated
      slides), with a 30 page handout, that covers all of these issues.
      Assuming all goes well, this will be available for purchase by tomorrow!
      This presentation should qualify for continuing education hours - and I
      can help you get these hours through the University of Oregon if you
      have any problems. University faculty and trainers can also use these
      materials. I will be setting up arrangements through the Copyright
      Clearance Center for the reproduction of these materials for students.
      As far as I know, there are no other resources available for teacher
      pre-service instruction on these issues. I will also provide some
      recommended instructional activities. The 30 page handout could easily
      be a book. I am trying to make this material more easily available. The
      Scope and Sequence covers the topics in brief. The handout contains
      detailed instructional objectives.

      Research from the Speak Up foundation has demonstrated that after
      schools receive Internet safety education - from the providers who have
      been active in the past decade - the result is that teachers place
      greater restrictions on student Internet use. This kind of material is
      what I describe as Reefer Madness - Just Say No - the authoritarian
      delivery of inaccurate fear-based information and simplistic rules
      against normative online behavior. I am trying very hard to make sure
      this does not occur with the new CIPA requirements.

      My materials are grounded in research insight - and use an effective
      risk prevention educational approach. My focus for younger students is
      protection. But as young people grow, it is exceptionally important, I
      believe, to ensure they have the knowledge, skills, and values to
      independently make good choices online and effectively handle the
      negative incidents that do occur. I am all about EMPOWERMENT! And
      respect for the digital natives.

      So please help yourself to everything that is on this site. Please also
      forward this message to other folks who might be interested.

      “Swimming pools can be dangerous for children. To protect them, one can
      install locks, put up fences, and deploy pool alarms. All of these
      measures are helpful, but by far the most important thing that one can
      do for one's children is to teach them to swim.” - Youth Pornography and
      the Internet