: Cyberbullying Bullying... Taunting etc

  • BBracey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2009
      Bill thanks for the great post. I don't own a piece of real estate in
      the cyber-bullying except for being a victim, and for all of the
      reasons that a teacher would.

      I went to Catholic school so I had to run the gaunlet after school
      every day in a uniform in an urban community
      before it was the fashion to wear uniforms, I am a minority, so I know
      a lot about being bullied from a personal point of view and from
      listening to and working with a counselor over the years for my
      students who were bullyied..

      I lost one child to gang violence. It was sad yesterday to watch one
      of the kids involved in the death of the young man in Chicago defend
      himself and his brother . The media goes for the story whether it is
      right or not. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

      I have listened to immigrant students tell of relatives who do
      unspeakable acts, of minority students who were teased and taunted, Pro
      child helped. We know that lots of kids across the Digital Divide can't
      be cyberbullied and still have a hard row to hoe.

      Here is a further interest in the Cyberbullying from Harvard. The event
      was yesterday, but will be cybercast and available to all.

      [TUESDAY] BERKMAN LUNCHEON SERIES on PARENT v. CHILD REPORTS OF
      INTERNET BEHAVIORS
      >>=======================================================================

      ===========
      12/15/09, 12:30 PM ET, Berkman Center Conference Room @ 23 Everett
      St., Cambridge, MA
      RSVP is required for those attending in person
      (rsvp@...).
      This event will be webcast live.
      Topic: Parent versus Child Reports of Internet Behaviors and
      Support for Strategies to Prevent Negative Effects of Online Exposure
      Guest: Sahara Byrne, Assistant Professor, Cornell University

      Strategies available to protect youth from potentially problematic
      online experiences may be met with considerable resistance. Young
      people may not be ready or willing to accept such interventions.
      These studies seek to identify specific internet risk prevention
      strategies to that are likely to be met with resistance from
      children and adolescents and makes advances toward predicting when
      parents and their children will disagree on appropriate strategies
      for their family. A nation-wide survey of 1812 parents with children
      who have access to the internet examines parental support
      for various strategies to protect their children from negative effects.
      Many of the strategies tested were drawn from the Final Report of the
      Internet Safety Technical Task Force at the Berkman Center for Internet
      & Society. A sub-sample of 456 children and
      adolescents indicated level of support and these data were matched with
      those of their parents. Strategies resulting in the least
      disagreement from children include those that empower the youth to
      protect themselves, as well as legal consequences or suspension
      from school for people who misbehave online. Analysis predicting
      disagreement revealed that certain characteristics of the child and
      parent, as well as the communicative relationship between the two,
      factor into the problem.

      About Sahara:

      Sahara Byrne is investigating the deliberate disruption of mediated
      messages, a theoretical construct known as noise. Her work takes a
      developmental perspective. She examines why strategic messages are
      sometimes ineffective or result in the opposite effect than was
      intended. The research aims to explain why the 'boomerang effect is
      likely to occur in response to many types of strategic messages,
      especially those that are pro-social such as health campaigns and
      efforts to prevent negative effects of the media on children. She
      received her B.F.A in Film and Television from New York University's
      Tisch School of the Arts, and her M.A. and Ph. D. in Communication from
      the University of California, Santa Barbara.

      This event will be webcast live; for more information and a complete
      description, see the event web page:
      http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2009/12/byrne