Operation Prevent Funding for Internet Fear - update and "on hold"

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2009
      Hi all,

      I have been trying to sort out what might be happening in DC. Last week when
      I sent the messages trying to explain the issues with this legislation, this
      was done very intentionally. There was a conference in DC and Rep Wasserman
      Schultz's staff person was presenting.

      I blind cc'd he and Sen Menendez's staff with the messages that I sent to
      you - hoping to also educate them. In DC, the folks these staff are
      primarily communicating with appear to be the lobbyists for the Internet
      safety organizations that want this federal funding. What I really want to
      happen is changes in the legislation to make sure that the funds are going
      to be directed in a way that will be effective in addressing the concerns of
      the young people who are at greater risk online.

      Obviously, last week the House folks were all focused on the health care
      bill. I am also told that the judiciary subcommittee is working very hard on
      the reauthorization of the Patriot Act. So IF the Wasserman Schultz bill
      comes up, it is not likely to do so until December.

      One staff person indicated some significant concerns if I were to ask you
      all to send messages again. Apparently the last time I made this request she
      was, by her words, "inundated" with messages. ;-) So apparently, several
      staff members are now well aware of the opposition of the education
      community. But as I am not a Washington insider, I do not know how this
      plays out.

      It is going to take me a bit of time to figure out what is happening. But I
      will keep track and report back.

      All best.

      http://cyber-safe-kids.com
      http://csriu.wordpress.com

      Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

      Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
      Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)