“Success Against All Odds” was h eld at ISTE NECC Digital Equity Symposium

  • BBracey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2009
      Digital Equity Summit

      Monday, June 29, 2009, 8:30 - 10:00 a.m.

      Digital equity is the social-justice goal of ensuring that everyone in our
      society has equal
      access to technology tools, computers and the Internet. Even more, it is
      when all
      individuals have the knowledge and skills to access and use technology
      tools, computers
      and the Internet.

      According to recent research by the National Center for Educational
      Statistics, 98% of
      schools and 77% of instructional rooms have computers and are connected to
      the Internet.
      But many classrooms and important educational projects are not connected,
      and these
      educators are deprived of excellent Internet-based resources.

      Most important, even though a school or classroom may be connected, the
      technology may not be used by students - leaving many young people
      technology-illiterate, without key skills they need to succeed in today's job market. We
      focused on those who achieved against all odds.

      Lynn Nolan, Senior Strategic Initiatives Officer, ISTE
      Bonnie Bracey Sutton, 2009 Digital Equity Chair
      Jenelle Leonard, Director, School Support and Technology Programs
      , US Department of Education

      Renaissance Washington DC Hotel, Grand Ballroom North

      We were welcomed by Lynn Nolan who assisted in the planning of the event.
      We heard from the U.S. Department of Education through Jenelle - How this
      aligns with the Obama Administration's commitment to improve Education and
      the Department's new focus on success and solutions. In fact there was a whole
      table of folks from the Dept of Ed who interfaced with the groups that came
      to share their ideas, stories and successes.

      The event showcased the new initiative of the George Lucas Educational
      Foundation
      “Talking 'Bout the Digital Generation”
      Milton Chen presented highlights from multimedia profiles of ten young
      people who use digital media for learning and socializing , giving educators
      insights into new strategies for engagement..
      Today's kids are born digital -- born into a media-rich, networked world of
      infinite possibilities. But their digital lifestyle is about more than just
      cool gadgets; it's about engagement, self-directed learning, creativity,
      and empowerment. The Digital Generation Project tells their stories so that
      educators and parents can understand how kids learn, communicate, and
      socialize in very different ways than any previous generation.
      Parents live with it. Teachers see it daily. You can't observe young people
      and not notice how smoothly and seamlessly they dive into new Web 2.0
      communication technologies. With a flick of the cell phone, they share more
      texts, photos, music, and video than any other demographic group on Earth.

      A decade ago, kids led the charge to Napster and IM and then to MySpace,
      Facebook, and Flickr. Now, they're on to Flip, Twitter, and Wii. Youth are
      encamped at the farthest outpost of digital technology -- and you can be sure
      they'll be on to the next cool thing quicker than you can say "Guitar Hero
      World Tour."

      Where does that leave us not-quite-young folks? Some of us grouse about the
      bewildering circus of gadgets, games, and groups intruding on our social
      circles. Others long to join in the fun -- if only someone would show us how.
      Either way, the teachers, moms, and dads among us find ourselves on the
      outside peering into a world we neither know nor understand. Too often, we draw
      conclusions that miss the point -- and the promise -- of what these new
      communication tools offer.

      Sound familiar? Perhaps it's time for all of us to explore the Web 2.0
      frontier. Throughout their site, you'll meet unique kids who will show you how
      they've mastered digital tools. They'll show you how they create,
      collaborate, and teach in ways that kids before them could scarcely imagine.
      As you watch and listen, you'll learn, too. If you're an educator, you'll
      understand how digital tools are changing the classroom. You'll find
      practical ideas on how to leverage the unique skills of this generation. If you're a
      parent, you'll access ideas and resources about how to support, protect,
      and better guide our children as we all continue to explore the digital age.

      1.You can find the project here http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation

      Against All Odds

      . We also heard “Success Stories” from selected participants, each
      providing a brief overview of their challenges, success results, effective
      implementation, and the evidence of their success.
      Here are the success stories we featured in no particular order. Wed
      participated in a highly interactive exploration of success stories against all
      odds... offsetting the digital divide.
      We featured and will profile each of these during the upcoming year in a
      separate story. We will tell you the story like they told it at the symposium.

      2.Conexiones
      http://conexiones.asu.edu/

      3. Be the Game
      http://bthegame.com/Images/css/spacer

      4. Mouse Squad
      http://ca.mousesquad.org/WhoWeAre/mission.html

      5. Shodor.org
      http://www.shodor.org/home/

      6. Generation Yes
      http://genyes.com

      7. Zoey's Room
      http://zoeysroom.com

      8. University of Washington Trio Program
      http://depts.washington.edu/trio/

      9. Digispired

      http://itestlrc.edc.org/digispired-digital-inspiration-interactive-game-design-and-programming-skills

      10, JEF Joint Educational Facilities
      http://jef.org

      11. NCWIT National Council of Women in Technology
      http://www.ncwit..org

      12. Flat Classroom ( An ISTE Project from Doha) See Lynn's Blog
      flatclassroomconference.wikispaces.com/

      230 G Street SW
      Washington, DC

      202-484-0554