Google Wave: Educational Tsunami or Wash Out?

  • Art Wolinsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
      Thanks for Leigh Zeitz for pointing me to this one...

      File this one under the old joke, "The faster I go the behinder I
      get." We are still struggling to get schools into the Web 2.0 world
      and now Google comes along with a new, amazing, collaborative, OPEN
      SOURCE product that adds a mountain of promise for the world and
      ocean of challenges for education.

      Later this year Google Wave will be going live. It's a bit like
      Facebook meets email, meets IM, meets Flickr, meets Blogger, meets
      Google docs, meets wikis, meets Twitter, meet Survey Monkey,
      meets.... (Are you getting the idea?)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ

      Do you have hard core technophobes in your district? We all know
      that there is little chance of getting them to change. How about
      showing this demo at a faculty meeting and telling the staff you want
      students to begin using it to create products. The fun will start as
      their eyes begin to glaze over. Then the heads will go down. There
      will be gnashing of teeth, crying and wailing. They won't change,
      but they will run from the meeting, pulling out their hair, and
      filing for retirement.

      But wait! They will be back as soon as they realize that with
      filtering and blocking, it's not going to happen.

      One final thought...

      While the focus is on collaboration in ways that you never imagined,
      the one feature that will have some educators dancing and some people
      pulling out their hair is the spell checker. It is intelligent and
      will automatically suggest and correct misspellings based on
      context. It will even recognize homophones.

      Art

      Art Wolinsky
      OEO 3DWriting.com
      Technology Director - Online Internet Institute
      Educational Technology Director - WiredSafety.org
      awolinsky@...
      (609) 698-8223 (Home Office)
      (609) 618-4433 (Cell)

      I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
      I will surely learn a great deal today.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
        It really bothers me ­ how totally right you are Art. <double sigh>

        > Do you have hard core technophobes in your district? We all know
        > that there is little chance of getting them to change. How about
        > showing this demo at a faculty meeting and telling the staff you want
        > students to begin using it to create products. The fun will start as
        > their eyes begin to glaze over. Then the heads will go down. There
        > will be gnashing of teeth, crying and wailing. They won't change,
        > but they will run from the meeting, pulling out their hair, and
        > filing for retirement.
        >
        > But wait! They will be back as soon as they realize that with
        > filtering and blocking, it's not going to happen.

        http://cyber-safe-kids.com
        http://csriu.wordpress.com

        Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

        Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
        Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)

      • Claude Almansi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
          On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:

          > It really bothers me ­ how totally right you are Art. <double sigh>

          Me too, but re:

          >>(...)
          >>
          >> But wait! They will be back as soon as they realize that with
          >> filtering and blocking, it's not going to happen.

          Apart from filtering and blocking, there might be another issue
          preventing the use of Gogle Wave in schools. See Jennison Asuncion's
          "Google Wave accessibility" posted about in a message on the forum
          LinkedIn Web 2.0 Accessibility group
          <http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=3842289&gid=1605077&trk=EML_anet_qa_ttle-cThOon0JumNFomgJt7dBpSBA>
          (or <http://tinyurl.com/n6ysjv> :

          "Based on what I've read re Google Wave, see http://tinyurl.com/n23ku6
          as an example, it will be interesting to see how the base product will
          be made to be accessible to folks with disabilities, based on its
          intended purpose. Its highly dynamic and visual nature, and its use of
          drag-and-drop alone will make accessibility an interesting challenge,
          and that’s putting aside support by current adaptive technologies for
          those who need to use these.
          Does anyone know what is being done to address accessibility to the
          base product? I have read that it is being released as open source,
          meaning talented developers in that domain can certainly take up the
          cause."
        • Robert D. Sharp
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
            I am sorry, Ms Alamansi, is there another link. I am not a member of
            that LinkedIn group so it will not allow me access "Sorry you are not
            a member of the group you are trying to access."

            Bob

            --
            It has been said before but warrants repeating, "If you think
            education is expensive, try ignorance."

            Robert D. Sharp, Co-Owner, Sharp Education Consulting and Marketing.
            Teacher, Retired after 34 years, Science, Computers, Mathematics,
            Technology
            Past Middle School Representative to the NCCE Board
            Recipient of The First Annual Learning Space Achievement Awards for
            Members

          • Robert D. Sharp
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
              My apologies again, I found the group Web 2.0 Accessibility and have
              requested that I be allowed to join.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
                Sorry: I hadn't realized I was signed in when I viewed the page. But I
                copied Jennison Asuncion's message in full.

                Best

                Claude

                On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Robert D. Sharp <RobertDS1@...> wrote:
                > I am sorry, Ms Alamansi, is there another link.  I am not a member of
                > that LinkedIn group so it will not allow me access "Sorry you are not
                > a member of the group you are trying to access."
                >
                > Bob
                >
                > On Jun 1, 2009, at 10:34 PM, Claude Almansi wrote:
                >> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...>
                >> wrote:
                >> >

                >> > It really bothers me  how totally right you are Art. <double sigh>
                >>
                >> Me too, but re:

                >> Apart from filtering and blocking, there might be another issue
                >> preventing the use of Gogle Wave in schools. See Jennison Asuncion's
                >> "Google Wave accessibility" posted about in a message on the forum
                >> LinkedIn Web 2.0 Accessibility group
                >> <http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=3842289&gid=1605077&trk=EML_anet_qa_ttle-cThOon0JumNFomgJt7dBpSBA
                >> >
                >> (or <http://tinyurl.com/n6ysjv> :
                >>
                >> "Based on what I've read re Google Wave, see http://tinyurl.com/n23ku6
                >> as an example, it will be interesting to see how the base product will
                >> be made to be accessible to folks with disabilities, based on its
                >> intended purpose. Its highly dynamic and visual nature, and its use of
                >> drag-and-drop alone will make accessibility an interesting challenge,
                >> and that’s putting aside support by current adaptive technologies for
                >> those who need to use these.
                >> Does anyone know what is being done to address accessibility to the
                >> base product? I have read that it is being released as open source,
                >> meaning talented developers in that domain can certainly take up the
                >> cause."

              • Janice Friesen
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
                  Art,

                  You are so right. I was amazed, but also felt like I understood about
                  10%. Of course, it was a developer's conference...

                  Janice

                  p.s. I like your image of the technophobes running out of the
                  building and then coming back for an intelligent spell checker!!