Re: [WWWEDU] Re: What's your thoughts?

  • BBracey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 6, 2009
      In a message dated 1/6/09 8:57:52 AM, mfidelman@... writes:

      > At least at the High School level, it should be possible to develop
      > classes, select materials, and teach, in ways that mirror the
      > technology-enabled methods that are now commonplace on college
      > campuses. And I've seen high schools that do take modern approaches.
      > But, at least here, old-style thinking seems to prevent people from even
      > grasping that such approaches are possible. And that old style thinking
      > seems to be embedded at a system level, reinforced by senior
      > administrators who came up through the old system, have not had direct
      > exposure to technology or new teaching methods.

      The problem is that the vendors are deeply set into the school system
      and the text book model is what they want. They gain from the pounds of
      tests, pretests, and
      practice tests that are generated in the name of NCLB.. I think.
      I believe as you do.Change has to happen.

      Bonnie Bracey Sutton
      bbracey at aol com

    • John Thompson
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 5, 2009
        FYI. Oracle Education Foundation has a new competition - ThinkQuest
        Narrative Competition 2009 - that is now open!

        For those teachers who are already working in the ThinkQuest project space
        and/or would like to integrate a competition into daily curriculum, this is
        a wonderful opportunity!

        Below is the link to information on the competition, including the rules and
        evaluation criteria for the competition. The 16 global educational topics
        are listed under the evaluation criteria link.

        * For more information, please visit http://www.thinkquest.org and
        click on the "Competition" tab. From there, click on the Narrative
        Competition link.
        * Please review the Rules and Evaluation Criteria closely.

        Although there are many benefits to this new competition, please note the
        following about the competition:

        * Invites student teams to publish their ideas on issues of global
        importance.
        * Student teams collaborate using the ThinkQuest project space as
        their online publishing tool.
        * Offers teachers a unique opportunity to embed an international
        competition on globally relevant topics into the classroom curriculum.
        * Helps to validate independent student work and provide learning
        outcomes.
        * Fosters a powerful and engaging experience for students

        Let's get some teachers participating in the ThinkQuest Narrative
        Competition!

        And don't overlook ThinkQuest's Web site competition either. Both
        competitions are great activities. Good luck!

        John

        John T. Thompson, Ph.D.
        Associate Professor
        Educational Technology Program
        Computer Information Systems Dept.
        Chase 208, Buffalo State College
        1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222
        (716) 878-3531 <mailto:thompsjt@...>
        thompsjt@...

        "Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed
        until it is faced."
        - James Baldwin

        P Please consider the environment: Do you really need to print this e-mail?