Re: [WWWEDU] Re: What's your thoughts?

  • BBracey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 6, 2009
      In a message dated 1/6/09 8:53:26 AM, awolinsky@... writes:

      > While administrators are not necessarily the
      > key to success, they are far more likely to be the key to failure. I
      > too have had the good fortune to have worked with "magicians", one of
      > whom brought technology to our district and to a large extent set the
      > course of the rest of my life, but this is the story of another lower
      > level administrators who slowed things down.

      But there are also the people like Michelle Rhee who come in and demand the
      skills that the teachers did not "decide" to aquiire, or who were wedded to the
      curriculum that the former supervisors and curriculum administrators decided
      was ok. In fact the teachers are in peril, of losing their jobs for doing
      exactly what they were told and for following the lead of the former
      administrators. Otherwise why would they still be there?

      There are some basic resources, initiatives, learnings that teachers must at
      least be aware of.
      you wouldn't let a cab driver, or a bus drive drive the same car or vehicle
      without an update.
      The world has changed from what most of us knew in learning and teaching ,
      and we don't
      have the right to gate the resources for the new learners and the next
      generation.

      That being said something has to be done to make a level playing field for
      teachers.
      I don't have an answer for that. I left teaching because I was too far ahead
      and was given an choice.. their way or the highway.. I chose the Information
      Highway..

      but now the people who stayed and followed the tune of the administrators are
      being kicked out?
      Who won?

      Dunno

      Bonnie Bracey Sutton

      bbracey at aol com

      Bonnie Bracey Sutton

    • John Thompson
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 5, 2009
        FYI. Oracle Education Foundation has a new competition - ThinkQuest
        Narrative Competition 2009 - that is now open!

        For those teachers who are already working in the ThinkQuest project space
        and/or would like to integrate a competition into daily curriculum, this is
        a wonderful opportunity!

        Below is the link to information on the competition, including the rules and
        evaluation criteria for the competition. The 16 global educational topics
        are listed under the evaluation criteria link.

        * For more information, please visit http://www.thinkquest.org and
        click on the "Competition" tab. From there, click on the Narrative
        Competition link.
        * Please review the Rules and Evaluation Criteria closely.

        Although there are many benefits to this new competition, please note the
        following about the competition:

        * Invites student teams to publish their ideas on issues of global
        importance.
        * Student teams collaborate using the ThinkQuest project space as
        their online publishing tool.
        * Offers teachers a unique opportunity to embed an international
        competition on globally relevant topics into the classroom curriculum.
        * Helps to validate independent student work and provide learning
        outcomes.
        * Fosters a powerful and engaging experience for students

        Let's get some teachers participating in the ThinkQuest Narrative
        Competition!

        And don't overlook ThinkQuest's Web site competition either. Both
        competitions are great activities. Good luck!

        John

        John T. Thompson, Ph.D.
        Associate Professor
        Educational Technology Program
        Computer Information Systems Dept.
        Chase 208, Buffalo State College
        1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222
        (716) 878-3531 <mailto:thompsjt@...>
        thompsjt@...

        "Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed
        until it is faced."
        - James Baldwin

        P Please consider the environment: Do you really need to print this e-mail?