The approach I have been recommending

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23 8:15 AM
      One of my very wonderful friends on this list asked for the source of the
      statement I said I made in 2003. In fact, it was 2002.

      But I made much the same statement in 2000.

      So if you are into a little bit of light reading over the holiday break,
      here is the statement I made to the National Research Council in 2000
      http://csriu.org/documents/nwnas.php. I made the same statement to the COPA
      Commission slightly earlier.

      And here is a link to that book, I self-published in 2002.
      http://csriu.org/documents/sruilisting.php

      Ignore the "honortext" portion. I made the book available online and sought
      some resources from its distribution. The introduction section lays out the
      approach I have been recommending for a very long time.

      Here are some statements from that:

      The Internet has emerged in the last decade as an extremely important
      conduit for information and communications. The objective of schools is to
      prepare students for active and effective participation in society. The
      information and communication resources of the Internet have become an
      essential component of this preparation. Schools are uniquely positioned to
      serve as the primary vehicle through which young people can develop the
      knowledge, skills, and motivation to use the Internet in a safe,
      responsible, and effective manner.

      No technology protection measure is or ever will be 100% effective in
      protecting young people from exposure to material that is potentially
      harmful. There is simply too much material on the Internet, with more
      material posted every second, for any technological system to be truly
      effective. Virtually every young person will, at one time or another, have
      unsupervised access to the Internet through an unfiltered, unblocked, and
      unmonitored system. Any time a technology is created that seeks to block
      access to material, another technology will emerge to get around such
      blocking actions. Technically proficient young people can easily obtain
      information on effective strategies to get around these systems.

      It can be expected that young people are going to have superior technical
      skills than most adults. But adults are responsible for imparting the
      knowledge, skills, and values that are essential for young people to learn
      to make safe and responsible choices.

      We, as society, are too often willing to believe that a technological "quick
      fix" will solve the problem. When we believe in the sufficiency of the
      technological "quick fix," we fail to engage in the more important actions
      that are necessary to effectively address the underlying concerns. Far too
      many decision-makers, educators, and parents believe in a myth -- that the
      installation and use of a "technology protection measure" will protect
      children against access to potentially harmful material and people on the
      Internet. The unfortunate result of the belief in this myth is false
      security, which leads to complacency, which results in the failure to
      adequately protect our children by preparing them to use the Internet in a
      safe and responsible manner.

      This is not to say that there is no role for technology tools in the
      establishment of an environment that supports the safe and responsible use
      of the Internet by young people. Technology can be used to establish safe
      spaces for younger students, and to reinforce accountability on the part of
      older students. The major concern is that a strategy that places primary
      reliance on technological "quick fixes" will fail to address the far more
      important issues of education and supervision.

      The recommendations set forth in these materials are grounded in knowledge
      of effective parenting and educational strategies. When children are to
      young to comprehend dangers and make safe choices, we keep them in safe
      places and closely supervise their activities. We teach them how to
      recognize and deal with potential dangers ­ lessons that expand as they grow
      and face new situations. We also teach them about our positive expectations
      for their behavior. As children grow, we allow them increased freedom. We do
      not expect that teens will be willing to remain in fenced play yards. But we
      also remain engaged ­ ³hands-on² ­ through ongoing communication and
      supervision, and, when necessary, appropriate discipline.

      These same strategies provide the foundation for a comprehensive approach to
      address Internet dangers and concerns and the use of the Internet in school.

      http://cyber-safe-kids.com
      http://csriu.wordpress.com

      Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

      Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
      Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)