(Re)Introducing myself

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2008
      So there I was, puzzling about my lack of knowledge about some
      emerging technologies that could be applied to online education and
      wondering what the best way to get informed would be. Then I
      thought, "I used to belong to an online discussion group called
      WWWEDU. Being a part of that kept me on the cutting edge. I wonder
      if
      that group still exists."

      It does indeed exist, and although I have not been here in years, I
      see very familar names in the latest postings. Carvin. Willard
      Berquist. Good memories all!

      Old timers with photographic memories may recall that I used to be
      involved with online education in Jefferson County Schools in
      Colorado, but I retired from public education. That was when I
      departed WWWEDU. I was involved with an online education provider,
      Aventa Learning, after that. In 2007 that company was acquired by KC
      DistanceLearning. amd I was pulled up into that parent company. I am
      now the Executive Manager of Curriculum for KC Distance Learning, a
      Portland, Oregon-based company whose divisions are Aventa Learning
      (which parters primarily with public schools), iQ Academies (full
      service public online schools),and Keystone National High School (a
      private online school focusing on home schooled students). The title
      sounds grander probably than the job itself, but suffice it to say
      that I am supposed to give general overall guidance to the
      pedagogical
      direction our courses take.

      A major project with which I was involved this year was working with
      Kemi Jona of Northwestern University on the perplexing question of
      dealing with labs in online science courses, especially at the AP
      level. The two of us co-authored a white paper on behalf of the
      North
      American Council for Online Education (NACOL) that describes the
      theoretical basis for developing an excellent lab program in an
      online
      science class. It was just released, although I missed all the
      release
      activities whilst searching (sadly, in vain) for whale sharks in the
      Galápagos Islands.

      I have already been taking some notes on some of what I have seen in
      the last few weeks of posts, and I hope my visits here will be as
      fruitful as they were in the past.

      John Adsit
    • Janice Friesen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
        John,

        I remember your name from years ago. It is fun to see it again. I
        have noticed that the list has been very slow in the last years. I
        think it is because so many of the leaders are reading and writing
        blogs now and so the discussion that happened here is happening in
        many other different places.

        Janice