Open Weekends @ http://knowplace.ca - Nov 30 - Dec 2, 2007 - Ubuntu & Edubuntu

  • Mary Lou
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29 10:08 PM
      Open Weekends @ our knowplace family of sites offer you the opportunity
      to sample various leading-edge topics presented by members of our
      international online community. The format is asynchronous discussion
      forums so you can participate at your convenience. Synchronous sessions
      may be offered as well. Open Weekends are offered to you at no charge
      as our way of introducing you to our online community. We ask that you
      introduce yourself in our Open Weekend and at the end of our Open
      Weekend you post us a note about what you have learned or experienced.

      November 30 - Dec 2, 2007 - "Ubuntu & Edubuntu - Free Libre Open Source
      Location: http://knowplace.ca <http://knowplace.ca/>

      Facilitator: Kenneth Wyrick, USA

      Ubuntu is a Free Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS), community
      developed, desktop and server distribution running on top of the Debian
      GNU Linux operating system. Ubuntu is a perfect dual boot option, for
      most laptops, desktops and servers that are currently running win95,
      win98, XP and Vista. Ubuntu adds great value and software options for
      existing hardware and computer refurbishing programs.

      Because Ubuntu is unifying much of the Debain community, there are a
      number of distinct customized distributions available. Edubuntu is a set
      of applications that are added to Ubuntu to provide the educator with
      the tools needed to manage student activities in and out of their
      school(s) and classrooms.

      Note: We plan to use Edubuntu for this Open Weekend Session.

      Benefits of using Edubuntu are:

      1. GNU Linux has no virus problems, no serial numbers to track, it's
      true multi-user and multi-tasking, has good driver support for: printer,
      scanner and camera support.

      2. It comes with a lot more than the typical Desktop Applications. It
      includes a full line of: Accessories, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office,
      Sound and Video, System Tools that are also FREE.

      About Kenneth Wyrick - Kenneth works as a digital divide czar in CA
      educational systems and community networks. He is interested in online
      educational aspects of institutions, artists, educators, leaders,
      innovators, etc

      **Follow these steps to access Open Weekends :**

      1. If this is your first time to the knowplace family of sites, you
      need to create an account in each site in which you wish to

      2. Once you have created an account, you can enter the Open Weekend at
      12:00 pm * Pacific Time (Vancouver, British Columbia) on the day it
      scheduled to start. If you are you wondering what time that is for
      visit the World Clock <http://www.timeanddate.com/> .

      3. If you are asked for an enrollment key, you have arrived early, or
      we are a little late in opening. This can happen and we try to open
      the weekend as soon as possible.

      * All Open Weekends begin Friday at 12 pm PT and end late Sunday
      afternoon. The "three-day" weekend provides time for you to review the
      course materials and/or read and post to the discussions later on
      The facilitator(s) will be checking into the workshop throughout the
      and when convenient to their time zones.

      For further assistance, or if you have any questions please contact
      marylou@... <mailto:marylou@...>