9858Re: [WWWEDU] Any thoughts on how I should respond to Wired?

  • BBracey@aol.com
    Aug 29, 2007
      In a message dated 8/29/07 6:11:56 PM, nwillard@... writes:

      > Hmm. Heaven forbid you challenge the philosophy that people ought to have
      > the right to post anything they want online ‐ regardless of the harm caused
      > to another.
      >
      > Not sure who is worse ‐ Wired or the ACLU.

      People who don't teach don't understand our caution. In a meeting about the
      same thing yesterday
      a parent said to me so, the children should not cross the street because they
      might get hit..
      and then it was well what about the people who live in danger in the real
      world , forget about the internet We kind of need the ACLU for when things get
      really crazy.

      I don't know how we create understanding in tech circles because what makes
      them feel priviledged in their right to say pretty much what they want on the
      Internet. It has changed the world in many ways.

      As a child I never went to the movies that the Pope put on the black list
      that is the list that we Catholic school girls were not supposed to see. It never
      occured to me that , that list was what many people chose as the way to find
      a fairly interesting movie. So I grew up naive , stupid and needing more
      knowledge about the real world without the interference of a human deity.

      Perhaps we want to use Internet literacy as a focus for schools , reply that
      there are so many school boards, and that the group sanctions NSBA sanctions
      social networking.
      We can lean on the National Academies.. and change the subject by talking
      about literacy, and responsibility?

      http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=10250

      Cell phones . . . airbags . . . genetically modified food . . . the
      Internet. These are all emblems of modern life. You might ask what we would do without
      them. But an even more interesting question might be what would we do if we
      had to actually explain how they worked?
      The United States is riding a whirlwind of technological change. To be sure,
      there have been periods, such as the late 1800s, when new inventions appeared
      in society at a comparable rate. But the pace of change today, and its
      social, economic, and other impacts, are as significant and far reaching as at any
      other time in history. And it seems that the faster we embrace new
      technologies, the less we re able to understand them. What is the long-term effect of this
      galloping technological revolution? In today s new world, it is nothing less
      than a matter of responsible citizenship to grasp the nature and implications
      of technology.
      Technically Speaking provides a blueprint for bringing us all up to speed on
      the role of technology in our society, including understanding such
      distinctions as technology versus science and technological literacy versus technical
      competence. It clearly and decisively explains what it means to be a
      technologically-literate citizen. The book goes on to explore the context of
      technological literacy the social, historical, political, and educational environments.

      This readable overview highlights specific issues of concern: the state of
      technological studies in K-12 schools, the reach of the Internet into our homes
      and lives, and the crucial role of technology in today s economy and
      workforce. Three case studies of current issues car airbags, genetically modified
      foods, and the California energy crisis illustrate why ordinary citizens need to
      understand technology to make responsible decisions. This fascinating book from
      the National Academy of Engineering is enjoyable to read and filled with
      contemporary examples. It will be important to anyone interested in understanding
      how the world around them works.
      Just a thought.