      From: wwwedu@yahoogroups.com [mailto:wwwedu@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Andy Carvin
      Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:04 PM
      To: WWWEDU List
      Subject: [WWWEDU] Any thoughts on how I should respond to Wired?

      Hi everyone,

      I'm in a bit of a quandary. Late last week, there was
      a flurry of activity on the social network site I set
      up, Stop Cyberbullying
      (http://stopcyberbul <http://stopcyberbullying.ning.com> lying.ning.com),
      which I created
      to give teachers a place to share best practices on
      bullying education. In a matter of hours we were
      flooded with a number of new users who were
      vandalizing the community in extremely obnoxious ways.

      The reason for the vandalism? Well, it turns out the
      latest issue of Wired Magazine decided to name the
      Stop Cyberbullying community as "one of the six lamest
      social networks" on the Internet.

      Here's what they had to say about us:

      Stop Cyberbullying (stopcyberbullying.ning.com)
      What it is: A safe place for frank discussions on the
      topic of Internet bullying
      Who you'll meet: Pussies
      What's annoying: Dare to call them pussies, and
      they'll gang up on you mercilessly.

      Now I know this was intended as a joke, but the
      consequences have been very serious. We had no choice
      but to lock down the community, making it private and
      invite-only, and work with the site host, ning.com, to
      expel all the vandals. So needless to say, I'm pretty
      annoyed, but I don't want to make the situation worse.
      My gut is telling me to call them out and write an
      open letter to Wired on my blog, telling them that
      they're a part of the problem - eg, "Wired mocks
      educators for combating cyberbullying" - but I fear
      that doing so will lead to more vandals and bullies
      attacking the site, and Wired basically saying "we
      told you so."

      Any thoughts on what should I do?

      Andy Carvin
      andycarvin at yahoo com