9846Re: [WWWEDU] Any thoughts on how I should respond to Wired?

  • Taran Rampersad
    Aug 29, 2007
      I've read the responses, and I must reiterate what I have learned in a
      lifetime of bullies, from elementary school to dealing with drunk Marines.

      Never back down. Ever. When they swing, swing back. When they hit you,
      hit them back. When they knock you down, get back up. Never be beaten -
      maybe wounded, but never beaten.

      The Wired article and its effects demonstrate the very same thing that
      your site is about. It really is. They picked the fight, they KNEW that
      it would have an effect (don't tell me that they didn't - if they don't
      know their readership, then they are incompetent.) They KNEW it would
      put you in this quandary, or they are incompetent.

      In my eyes, there can be no middle path on this.

      People wrote of the educators not having a sense of humor. That isn't
      true. What people think of academics is that they always kowtow to
      bullies - the nerdy kid in the back that accumulates wedgies, the skinny
      kid who has his lunch money taken, the slight girl who is easily
      victimized by those more popular than her. 'Oh dear', these children
      say, 'if I do more it will only get worse...' - and when they do
      nothing, nothing changes.

      If there is a signal to be sent, send it. If there is no signal, if
      cyberbullying is only an academic discussion and nothing to be acted
      upon... do nothing. Say nothing. Or ride the fence and backchannel it
      and know that it will go nowhere. Or dare to backchannel it with an
      authoritative tone, slightly reproachful, and (heaven forbid) take a
      stance... and if that doesn't work, fight with all that you have.

      Whatever you do, don't discuss it to death. Bullies thrive on that sort
      of thing.

      I do know that if you stand up against it, I'll be at your shoulder. If
      you don't, well - it will just pass by, and various academics can write
      about it in studies as they have done before. One works against bullies.
      The other doesn't. Take your pick.

      --
      Taran Rampersad
      Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

      'Making Your Mark in Second Life: Business, Land, and Money'
      http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514174/

      Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

      "Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo
      "The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic