9843RE: [WWWEDU] Any thoughts on how I should respond to Wired?

  • Carla Beard
    Aug 29, 2007
      Andy,

      Educators are often accused of having no sense of humor. But you do -- you
      understood right away what Wired was up to. It was Wired's readership,
      supposedly a sophisticated group, that didn't get the intended humor.

      If you "call them out," you live up to the educator stereotype and put
      yourself on the same level as the vandals. What is needed - and I'm not
      quite sure how to do it - is to point out how much you appreciate Wired's
      attempt at humor, comment on the seriousness of the problem in general
      terms, and find a way to laugh at those who didn't get it, couching the
      consequences in the most humorous manner possible, perhaps by publishing
      some of the more moronic offerings, presenting the material in such a way
      that the point becomes obvious: it's not funny.

      Easier said than done, I know. Any creative people out there?

      Carla

      (whose creativity quotient is low at the moment)

      _____