9837Re: [WWWEDU] Any thoughts on how I should respond to Wired?

    Aug 29, 2007
      Hmm. Heaven forbid you challenge the philosophy that people ought to have
      the right to post anything they want online ­ regardless of the harm caused
      to another.

      Not sure who is worse ­ Wired or the ACLU.

      This year, in Oregon and Washington, the state ACLUs told the state
      legislators that the courts have ruled that school officials have no
      authority to impose formal discipline on a student for any material posted
      off-campus. The actual court rulings have uniformly been that school
      officials can only respond if the off-campus speech has caused or threatens
      to cause a substantial disruption or interference with the rights of
      students to be secure. In the cases cited by the ACLU, the decisions went
      against the school official because the principal imposed discipline when
      the standard had not been met.

      Maybe I ought to add school administrators to the list ­ because their
      organizations went along with the ACLU because they did not want
      administrators to have to face the possibility of litigation and would
      rather simply tell parents there is nothing they can do.

      Hmm, maybe EFF ought to also be added. In their legal guide for student
      bloggers, they recommend that if students want to diss a teacher or student,
      they should do so anonymously ­ and they then link to instructions on how to
      achieve anonymity (which students are actually very bad at doing).

      In my guide for students for cyberbullying, which your ning group was ­ I
      recommend that the first two steps are to either calmly tell the bullies to
      stop or to simply ignore/block the communications. The problem with trying
      to engage in teachable moments with some folks is that they are simply not

      Maybe a long talk with the folks at Wired to determine whether this magazine
      wants to be part of the problem or part of the solution.

      > Hi everyone,
      > I'm in a bit of a quandary. Late last week, there was
      > a flurry of activity on the social network site I set
      > up, Stop Cyberbullying
      > (http://stopcyberbullying.ning.com), which I created
      > to give teachers a place to share best practices on
      > bullying education. In a matter of hours we were
      > flooded with a number of new users who were
      > vandalizing the community in extremely obnoxious ways.
      > The reason for the vandalism? Well, it turns out the
      > latest issue of Wired Magazine decided to name the
      > Stop Cyberbullying community as "one of the six lamest
      > social networks" on the Internet.
      > http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/15-09/st_socialnetworks
      > Here's what they had to say about us:
      > Stop Cyberbullying (stopcyberbullying.ning.com)
      > What it is: A safe place for frank discussions on the
      > topic of Internet bullying
      > Who you'll meet: Pussies
      > What's annoying: Dare to call them pussies, and
      > they'll gang up on you mercilessly.
      > Now I know this was intended as a joke, but the
      > consequences have been very serious. We had no choice
      > but to lock down the community, making it private and
      > invite-only, and work with the site host, ning.com, to
      > expel all the vandals. So needless to say, I'm pretty
      > annoyed, but I don't want to make the situation worse.
      > My gut is telling me to call them out and write an
      > open letter to Wired on my blog, telling them that
      > they're a part of the problem - eg, "Wired mocks
      > educators for combating cyberbullying" - but I fear
      > that doing so will lead to more vandals and bullies
      > attacking the site, and Wired basically saying "we
      > told you so."
      > Any thoughts on what should I do?
      > thanks,
      > andy
      > Andy Carvin
      > andycarvin at yahoo com
      > www.andycarvin.com
      > www.pbs.org/learningnow

      Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

      Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
      Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)