9281Re: [WWWEDU] Brits Propose Bridging Home-School Digital Divide

    Jan 10, 2007

      > I am setting up a Home Access Taskforce which I will
      > personally chair. I want this to bring together key
      > industry players, the voluntary sector, and education
      > representatives to look at the issues. Because ICT at
      > every child's fingertips is not the be-all and end-all
      > of our ambitions. We need to make sure that schools
      > and teachers can take full advantage, and parents too
      > can play a significant role.

      One of the most important aspects of this ‹ actually THE MOST IMPORTANT
      aspect from my admittedly biased perspective ‹ is that parents must have a
      sufficient understanding of all of the risks and effective strategies to
      address those risks. I mean all risks ‹ not just the 3 p-¹s porn, predators,
      and privacy.

      For example, most of the most popular children¹s web sites are heavily
      involved in advergaming ‹ integrating commercial advertising into
      entertainment activities. So we have lots of kids sitting on their butts
      playing games that encourage them to eat junk food. And parents are largely
      unaware that this is occurring. I am going to be interviewed by Linda Neary
      of NPR on this issue tomorrow (not sure when the story will air).

      There also must be a strong focus on the quality of the online activities.
      Certainly, there are some benefits from surfing, gaming, and gabbing ‹ if
      kept in balance with other life activities. But how much of what young
      people are doing online is of high benefit to their life? How can we
      increase these kinds of activities and decrease the ³time-sink² activities
      that are doing more harm than good?

      Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
      online at http://cyberbully.org

      Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
      Internet Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (March 16, 2007)