9198Re: [WWWEDU] Re: Emergence of Citizen's Media

  • Ja Young
    Dec 5, 2006
      Dear Nancy -

      Your are correct in terms of students creating sites to put down teachers because the teachers really are bullies. About 6 years ago when my daughter was an AP / honor student but also a spoiled only, she complained about one of her English teacher's in high school, I took it with a grain of salt. But she was coming home upset and finally showed me sites from other students about this teacher - with quotes of things the teacher had said to them. I was literally shocked but still gave the teacher the benefit of the doubt and scheduled a meeting with her. When it was over I scheduled a meeting with the counselor and had my daughter's class changed. The kids were definitely right and if I had not had the opportunity to see so many other student's complaints online - I am not sure if I would have acted as quickly as I did, which would have been to my daughter's detriment.

      Take care,
      Ja Young

      Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:

      > I've already found one incident where this hypothesis was put to the
      > test. In 1999, a pair of students at an LA high school felt that their
      > teacher was acting inappropriately, but they didn't have any proof. So
      > they secretly videotaped the teacher in question, then supplied the
      > video to the school board. The board began disciplinary proceedings

      Fascinating, cyber-civil disobedience. Why is my ³grew up in the 60¹s have a
      small child adopted from India who shares Gandhi¹s birthday² heart smiling.
      ;-)

      Some teachers bully. There is very little research on this. One really great
      article is linked off of this page:
      http://www.stopbullyingnow.com/bullying%20by%20teachers.htm. This is the
      only reference I could find on this.

      I have focused on this issue in my cyberbullying book because I needed to
      address the web sites that students create that target school staff.
      Sometimes these sites put down teachers ‹ obese, gay. Picture a site that
      Harry Potter¹s Malfoy would create targeting Hagrid. Sometimes, you just
      have a bored kid, and kid who is not doing well and lashing out at anything
      having to do with school. But other times I think these web sites have been
      created by students who have been bullied by the school staff who they are
      targeting online. And I think it is really important for school officials to
      really figure out what is going on and not simply assume the child is
      totally in the wrong.

      Speaking of ³child,² mine wants a ride to school this cold morning. Bye.

      Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
      online at http://cyberbully.org

      Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Use the Internet
      Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (forthcoming)