8577RE: [WWWEDU] Rant

  • Mark Ahlness
    May 24, 2006
      Ted's response to Jeff's rant saddened me more than any email or blog
      posting I can remember recently. When I hear the sound of resignation and
      even defeat in a voice always so full of passion and pushing the envelope -
      well, it breaks my heart. His reaction is not one of weakness, but is
      testimony to the sheer muscle mass of the system that refuses to embrace and
      LEAD with technology.

      I've been working in the classroom, using technology with my kids, pushing,
      pushing, for about as long as Ted, but I have always stood in awe of the
      voice he put to his passion. I could just never do that. Now his passion is
      fading, understandably, and I wonder about myself. How many battles can I
      lose and still keep fighting? We'll see...

      There are two things that give me hope right now.

      1) the new medium of web 2.0. It's not just email lists that spread the word
      anymore. We're looking at blogs, wikis, kids as authors, rss feeds, news
      aggregators, podcasts, etc. There are so many more ways to influence people
      and induce change.

      2) the new voices, the Ted Nellens of web 2.0. I hope I don't offend here...
      Anybody reading Miguel Guhlin, Wesley Fryer, or David Warlick knows what I'm
      talking about. Anybody who cares about technology in education who does not
      follow them regularly, needs to. They are using all the incredible new
      tools at their disposal to get the word out, to spread the word in any way
      they can. Evangelists they are. And they are even here on web 1.0 lists like
      wwwedu. Heck, I even saw a post by Will Richardson on EdTech the other day.

      So I have hope. And I hope to hear more from you, Ted. The fight is not
      over, hang in there, we need you. - Mark

      Mark Ahlness
      mahlness@...
      http://ahlness.com
      http://roomtwelve.com