8569Re: [WWWEDU] Rant

  • tednellen
    May 24, 2006
      Jeff, i loved your preamble and then that which followed. much of it does
      strike a cord and has been one of my private battles over the past dozen
      years. at this sad point in time for me, i am finding i use less and less
      tech to the point i am now teaching pre tech in my nyc school called
      Information Technology HS. it was supposed to be the premier tech school
      in nyc, but alas, for all the reasons your highlighted and a few more the
      NYC tech team could come up with, tech is dead in NYC. I use dto rant an
      drave and present and publish this for many years, but alas spitting in
      the wind has gotten the best of me and i have resigned myself to the
      demise of tech and substantial use of it in schools for the future because
      of the reactionary attitude of punishment and prohibition over the more
      intelligent choice of education of the user. as i have said before the
      adults who lead dont get it and never will. i have beat my head against
      this brick wall for too long, screamed and shouted till i'm hoarse,
      demonstrated the success potential for too long. as i near my twilight
      years, i am content to merely fade away on this topic as i see it getting
      worse and worse. we had our heyday and i dont see it happening again.
      camelot is dead and so it intelligent use of the tech in schools, IMHO.

      i loved your rant, it reminded me of the type i'd hear from many wwweduers
      over the years and many of their voices still resonate today or have been
      extinguished and it only gets worse everyday, week, month, year.

      I have my own opinions on the reasons, have stated them many times, and
      i'm tired of hearing myself on this topic. i am so glad to hear another
      voice.

      good luck in your quixotic efforts, jeff.

      ted

      --

      Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

      "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
      To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

      Buckminster Fuller
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic