today's wwftd is... wesort

  • wwftd master
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2006
      the worthless word for the day is: wesort

      [probably from we sort (i.e., our sort)]
      usually capitalized
      one of a group of people of mixed white-black-Indian
      ancestry living in southern Maryland

      "The man who answered was Oswald Swan, a so-
      called wesort--of white, African American, and
      Piscataway Indian descent--who lived there with
      his wife and eight children."
      - Michael W Kauffman, American Brutus

      "Write-in entries included such synonyms of "mixed"
      as multiracial, multiethnic, interracial, and Wesort
      (one designation for white-black-Indian groupings)..."
      - William Petersen, From Birth to Death

      -tsuwm
      http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/