today's wwftd is... glossator

  • wwftd master
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      the worthless word for the day is: glossator

      [fr. L. glossare to gloss]
      1) one that makes textual glosses; a commentator;
      spec. one of the mediæval commentators on the
      texts of Civil and Canon Law
      2) a compiler of a glossary
      hence, glossatorial : of the nature of glosses

      "..we must therefore conclude that the glossator
      has misinterpreted the Old English, not that we
      have here a previously unrecorded use of gelflogen."
      - William Schipper,
      Mediæval English Studies Newsletter, Dec. 1985

      "The Brussels vocabulary is thus to be seen as part
      of a huge glossatorial effort carried out by a group
      of anonymous eleventh-century scholars whose work is
      spread across several manuscripts."
      - David W. Porter, (paper) http://snipurl.com/jduz

      for those that wonder about relative merits,
      here is the Wikipedia gloss of glossators:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossators
      and the Enc. Britannica gloss of legal glossators
      http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9047624

      -tsuwm
      http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd