today's wwftd is... mistemious

  • wwftd master
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2005
      the worthless word for the day is: mistemious

      [fr. mis-, bad + L. temetum, intoxicating beverage]
      marked by the misuse of alcohol : drunken

      [nonce-word?] I have not found this word anywhere
      except in the following citation; it would seem to
      be formed as in abstemious : marked by restraint
      in the consumption of food or alcohol.

      "So that is the famous White Tower..
      Feich! It's not even white!"
      "The Englishmen have no self-pride. If you read
      their history you will see that they are nothing
      more than a lot of doxy and mistemious bog-stalkers.
      Think: what would a few gallons of white paint cost
      the Queen of England?"
      - Neal Stephenson, The System of the World

      -tsuwm
      http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/