today's wwftd is... edentulous

  • wwftd master
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      the worthless word for the day is: edentulous

      /ee DEN chu lus/
      [fr. L. edentulus] toothless, edentate, agomphious

      While working one evening as a nurse at Wilson Memorial Hospital in 1980,
      Smirnow followed an oral surgeon, furiously scribbling notes that he
      dictated as they moved quickly around the ward. "He examined this lady and
      said, 'Patient edentulous [without teeth],'" Smirnow said. "So I wrote that,
      and he looked at it, then he looked at me, and said, 'You can spell that?'
      That did it. I'd had it." Just one course shy of earning her four-year
      degree, she scrapped nursing and decided to become a physician.
      - Gerald P. Merrell, Baltimore Sun; Nov. 7, 2004

      -tsuwm
      http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd