today's wwftd is... kentledge

  • tsuwm
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2013
      the worthless word for the day is: kentledge

      [of obscure origin, perh. related to quintal, a unit of wt]
      Naut. : pig iron or scrap metal used as permanent ballast;
      also attrib.

      "She is ballasted with utilities; not altogether with
      unusable pig-lead and kentledge."
      - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, or, The Whale (1861)

      "“My breast has felt the last four-and-twenty hours as if
      a ton of kentledge had been stowed in it.”"
      - James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder (1839)

      John McGaw grumps: For the sake of my sanity you need to get
      paraclete out of the top spot. You see, every time I open the
      page and see it I have a mental dialogue that goes something
      like: "Paraclete. I had one of them when I was a little boy.
      It was a nasty bugger. It drew blood every time I had to
      change the newspaper in its cage."

      heh.

      -tsuwm
      http://home.comcast.net/~wwftd