today's wwftd is... antiscian

  • wwftd master
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2008
      the worthless word for the day is: antiscian

      [fr. Gk anti, opposite + skia, shadow] /an TISH iun/
      pertaining to those who live on the same meridian, but
      on the opposite side of the equator, so that their shadows
      at noon fall in opposite directions

      "Those who live north of the equator are antiscians to
      those on the south, and vice versa; the shadows on one
      side being cast towards the north; those on the other,
      towards the south."
      - Webster's Dictionary (1828)

      Southern brother, it's most odd to see
      That your shadow's behind, as with me.
      North and south-what a riddle-
      The sun's in the middle.
      We're antiscians, don't you agree?
      - Robert (Bob) Hogg, OEDILF

      this is (mis)defined on some word lists as 'someone who
      lives on the exact opposite side of the world'

      -tsuwm
      http://home.comcast.net/~wwftd