today's wwftd is... chiack

  • wwftd master
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2008
      the worthless word for the day is: chiack

      [prob. alter. of cheek] /CHAHY uhk/ (also chyack)
      Australia : to jeer at; tease; deride

      "[M]y mates begin to chiack me vociferously for acting
      like a bloody drongo and my teachers afterwards rebuke
      me for my rudeness to the regal personage and demand
      to know the reason why."
      - Roger Milliss, Serpent's Tooth (1984)

      "Just think how you can chyack those stay-at-homes in
      Sydney and Melbourne."
      - Thomas Wood, Cobbers (1934)

      bonus word : drongo - Austral. slang.
      a simpleton; a stupid, worthless person