1855today's wwftd is... fnord
- Jun 20, 2013the worthless word for the day is: fnord
[neologism from the Principia Discordia
popularized in the Illuminatus! trilogy]
1) a word held to be invisible to the conscious mind, but
subliminally causing a sense of angst when encountered
2) a word defined as having no definition
3) anything jarringly out of context (intentional or not)
not to be confused with fnard, P. K. Dick's nonsense word
"You will not panic. you will look at the fnord and see it.
You will not evade it or black it out. You will stay calm
and face it. "
- Wilson & Shea, The Illuminatus! (1975)
"Now and then, Shea claimed, the word "fnord" will pop up
in a news story. You can't consciously see it, he says,
"but it's placed throughout the paper, and you notice it
only subconsciously. Every time you see a "fnord' you feel
fear, so that by the time you have finished reading the
paper you're in a state of chronic, low-grade emergency
paranoia. Keeping people in that state is one of the main
things the Illuminati do.""
- Cecil Adams, The Straight Dope, 1982
"I'll lower the fnard on her. She's young; she'll survive."
- Philip K. Dick, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch