[wwbc] Re: Baroque Music

  • Lynda Coles
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 24, 1999
      Couldn't resist joining in with this one :-) Although there are many people
      out there, as you rightly said, who just listen to one particular type of
      music and no other, there are those of us who (although not musically
      trained in any way) love all types of music, from punk rock to classical.
      Both my husband and myself choose music to complement our mood at the
      moment - or to change our mood if needed, such as listening to to new age
      music for relaxation, bright 'pop' music to cheer us up (especially good if
      I'm cleaning - it helps the work along if you can have a good sing-song and
      dance with the vacuum cleaner!), and sometimes very loud rock music if I'm
      in a bad mood and need to get it out of my system. Some of the 60's
      classics, such as 'Twist and Shout' my kids love being picked up and
      'danced' with to.

      Music seems to affect our emotions so much - how many of the sad, scary or
      romantic bits in films would be as effective without the background music?
      I actually used music as a form of pain relief when I had my youngest
      daughter - I took along 3 tapes, one of Enya for calming, relaxing and
      snoozing to, one of popular love songs which included Wet,Wet,Wet and Phil
      Collins, and one of Bon Jovi for if the contractions got hectic and I needed
      something to scream to!! (I didn't need this one though!). The atmosphere
      in the delivery room was wonderful - The midwives were singing along too, my
      husband was more relaxed and concentrating on the music really helped me
      cope with the pain.

      Another interesting thought: When I was pregnant with my eldest daughter I
      was especially 'into' two particular songs - 'Cherish' and 'Dear Jessie' by
      Madonna, and would play them all the time. After she was born I did not
      listen to them for years. My husband recently put this Madonna CD in his
      car and as soon as she heard these tracks my daughter (now 9) absolutely
      loved them and requests them all the time when we are driving - does she
      remember them from before birth??

      Surely by only listening to only one particular type of music - whether that
      be 'heavy metal' or 'classical' - you are only stimulating particular areas
      of the brain - by listening and appreciating many types you are excercising
      and stimulating many more of the neurons in the musical area of the brain -
      which is obviously good if you are trying to expand your 'whole brain'
      capabilities. I think it is all too easy to become a bit 'regulated' in the
      type of music listened too, and sometimes this is governed by outside
      influences and expectations and the desire all of us have to be accepted by
      our peers, but this is just as dangerous to mental development as any other
      type of thought being constrained by traditional or social margins.

      I enjoy the odd MacDonalds, and music with thumping bass beats (and I've
      been tested as having an IQ of 156 so I can't be that moronic!

      Best wishes, Lynda :-)
    • Susan Wagner
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 24, 1999
        Susan - Joining the fray. I absolutely agree with Lynda. Music is a
        universal means of communication. I recall so many songs from
        childhood which lifted my spirit and helped me to dare to dream. I
        have sons who are in their late twenties -- both musicians. I
        consider it the highest compliment that they both feel I have a real
        understanding of their music. I wish some of the current rock music
        had more of a message of hope and appeal to the best in us. And I
        think we need to hear all of it to understand what our kids are
        dealing with in their lives. I have met a number of young composers
        who are combining baroque and classical with modern rock and producing
        some very interesting music. I think their music will eventually find
        it's way into mainstream music lines. I have worked with a number of
        individuals with brain chemistry difficulties -- and again -- I found
        that music is often a means of communication which reaches to depths
        sometimes not reached by words.
      • Soulages
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 26, 1999
          IMO
          Pop is for fun, classic is ART.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 26, 1999
            I've been thinking about Baroque music. Yes, we have excellent music from
            the Baroque period, but we must remember that there was probably a lot of bad
            music coming out at this time -- much of it probably not very good. Since
            they didn't have radios and televisions in those days, it wasn't as
            disseminated as it is now. 300 years later the good has lasted and the bad
            has died out.

            We have had good composers in this century -- Charles Ives, Benjamin Britten,
            Aaron Copeland, to name a few. I've listened to some good music tapes
            provided through Michael Gelb and the music has been excellent. The problem
            is, we live in this century and hear the garbage, too.

            I would guess that 300 years from now, people will be decrying the music that
            comes out then, comparing it to the exquisite, timeless music coming from the
            1900's! Time and nostalgia can make us think that everything back in the
            Baroque period of history was excellent. It wasn't.

            Just my opinion -- but worth thinking about. Share this with whomever you
            would like to.

            Linda
            Meloroze@...
          • CMartin336@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 26, 1999
              Classic can make even much more fun than pop. But it can take more time, if
              one is not used to hear classic music.

              A scherzo for instance is music, which shall make fun. Pop makes at least no
              fun for me. Bad texts, little inventions of melodies, nothing worth to spend
              time with.

              Kind regards
              Claus
            • Soulages
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 28, 1999
                I didn't mean that Classical music isn't fun. It's just not for party.
                You can't dance it. And you obviously can't sing it (no lyrics :) ).

                I certainly enjoy listening to Mozart, Beethoven or Vivaldi but I wouldn't
                make a party with it. Its great for relaxation and fun to analyze (if I do
                this with pop I would probably be disappointed).

                I wouldn't spend time with pop. I would spend time with my frend listening
                to pop.
                :)
                Hernán
              • faye rees
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 28, 1999
                  sorry but i gotta jump in on this one - a vast quantity of classical music,
                  and especially baroque music (that of the era 1600-1750) was dance music.
                  and much of it is vocal music as well - yes with words even. as a matter of
                  fact vocal music came first and instrumental music developed from its
                  supportive role into its own medium by adapting vocal models to fit the
                  instruments as they were developing, and then accomodating the virtuoso
                  performer.

                  faye

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 31, 1999
                    There are a lot of dances in classical music and of course people danced at
                    that music.

                    But that were other more cultivated forms of dances than nowadays.

                    I agree with you. Don´t misuse this excellent music at parties.

                    Kind regards

                    Claus