helpingneiltotakeovertheworld

  • Elliott Bignell
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2000
      yes o lord and master

      At least, when I get time. By the way, I'm relieved/sympathetic to
      hear that I'm not the only one having serious problems sleeping. Have
      you tried counting sheep, Neil? (Even if the other one is "nuts" -
      how about bombarding that dickstroker with rude messages until April?)

      Here's my part of the bargain - over the w/e, I'll start building a
      MindMap of what I'm learning about NLP. I'm studying it at the moment
      in the hope of finding a final solution to my depression, which is
      showing worrying signs of creeping back. (Such as insomnia.) It's
      about the right time for this exercise.

      One positive result of last night's tossing and turning is that I've
      come up with an interesting "peg" idea. I was wandering around the
      flat at 3am thinking about how to assemble a "memory palace" - yes,
      I've just read "Hannibal". I was also trying to find a way to break
      into some old memories - suffice to say I'm having some counselling
      at the moment. What's the sense most closely associated with memory,
      according to some sources? Smell. What's my most useful hobby?
      Cooking. What do I have a rack of? Spices.

      A spice rack, as well as being a physical object in a room and
      ideally suited to a Roman Room system, also has a clear set of
      unambiguous smells. The jars even LOOK like pegs, for goodness sake!
      Hence, I have a new peg system...

      Neil - when you're President of the World, I WANT BILL GATES.

      Cheers...
      Elliott

      P.S. MindMaps sent via the form on my web page aren't getting
      through. Anyone who's tried to send me one (e.g. Najat) please resend
      on elliott_c_bignell@...-elmer.com
    • Mattias Johansson
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2000
        Ah, I am in the process of reading up on NLP, too Elliot. However, I have
        come into something of a stall. You see, with all the goals necessary, and
        the changes required making, I would have to take THE final, big step, the
        step from child to adult. I have taken a lot of steps on that road recently,
        and setting up goals in my life might just be it. Growing up =
        Responsibility

        Not more than I have now, though. I have responsibility. Lots. The change
        would be that I would start caring about it, in the adult way. I guess that
        is okay, even though it scares me. So, what goals should I have? What do I
        want to be when I grow up? I DON'T KNOW. I have spent the last few weeks
        trying to find out. It's very hard. I want to be a web designer. But I also
        like to be a doctor in psychology. Brain usage, of course. Computer Engineer
        is something that I have thought about a long time. That would need a
        minimum of studying for me. Due to me studying at theatre school, I have of
        course considered a line of work as such. Actor, director, or something like
        that. However, that does make an absolute minimum of money, unless you get
        famous, and that way everyone and their grandmother acknowledge you in town.
        Writer, though - that seems fun! Hmmm... Maybe I should become a doctor in
        psychology who runs and writes on a website, and writes brain-software for
        computers? Not bad. Not bad at all. But is it what I want? I am not sure.

        I eagerly await your findings!

        Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. MONEY makus surfus;
        http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=BUL293
        /Mattias Johansson

[...]

        Get paid to surf the Internet. For just displaying a small advert on your PC
        screen you are paid $0.50 for every hour of surfing. Not only that, as well
        as each and every friend you recommend getting $0.50 ph, you get an
        additional $0.10 for each hour of their surfing. It soon adds up. Register
        now at http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=BTT-973

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Elliott Bignell
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2000
          Hi, Mattias.

          Bad news...

          There's a little trap involved with the word responsibility, into
          which you've just fallen : once you start thinking about whether you
          have it, you already have it. Welcome to my nightmare.

          Don't despair, though - growing up isn't an event, it's a process,
          like mastering your memory (like I'd know about either). I'm more
          than twice your age and I still leap around the flat of an
          evening "singing" along to Metallica and The Bloodhound Gang, so
          there's no need to buy a grey suit just yet.

          Oh, hell, you already have, haven't you?

          Cheers...
          Elliott

          ////////////////////////

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2000
            I do not like grey suits. I'd like a red one. Like blood. Like RedHat Linux.
            Like communist china. Like Harkonen. Like ketchup. BTW, don't swear in your
            posts Elliot, you may get unsubscribed. :)

            Well, back to the subject - growing up, I think that I have worse things to
            worry about now. Making money, for instance. Well, I think it is primary
            that. I hope to be able to make a dime on the Smart3 site, and I will start
            a lil' company in which I build cheap computers for people. Money is
            apparently also a part of the growing up process. Since my family don't have
            much money now, I have to make my own green to get what I want.

            So, now it has been decided - I am a Webmaster. I will not get a day job,
            like everyone else - I will build computers for people and work on my site
            in my productive time. I will study efficiency books, like NLP and '7 habits
            of highly effective people' - after that; I will proceed studying memory
            techniques. That followed by speed and photographic reading. I have a full
            list of the things to read after that. This is linear, of course, and I am
            not sure it is good. One of the positive things is that I can focus on one
            subject at the time. Negative is that I may be bored. I have bought a
            membership at the gym, and have engaged in karate practice. I also eat
            healthy food. I guess I should be proud of myself, but I am not. I cannot
            grasp my situation. I need better planning and more definitive goals. This
            was a thought burst, and an egocentric one, too! I would love you all to be
            egocentric too!

            Tell me about your lives, what you do, and what you do to evolve. What do
            you work with, and since when - and so on. What do you do on your spare
            time? Do you have a dog? What topics do you study, if at all? I would love
            to compare, relate, learn and reflect on everyone here.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2000
              Mattias:

              Red suit? This man needs help...

              Some parallels ... when I was 16, I wore a jacket and tie to school
              and did karate. Hmm, careful Mattias, this is how you might turn out
              in 18 years. As for swearing, why do you think I use asterisks? Your
              Scandinavian roots are showing, Mattias - "oh hell" doesn't even
              raise eyebrows with English speakers these days. I don't necessarily
              WANT to live in that kind of world, but then I don't accept a
              dictatorship of vocabulary, either. (Didn't we do this one a couple
              of months ago?)

              Jessica:

              //Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.
              //Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain.
              //From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

              This is good!

              Greg:

              Yes, some lessons you can't MindMap. Some lessons just come and get
              you. I'm not sure I see the paradox, though - don't rights always
              entail responsibilities? I think this is just the natural consequence
              of our moral nature. If you can't see responsibilities at all, you
              must be Hannibal Lecter, or a lawyer or something.

              HernĂ¡n:

              I've been banging my head and trying to get speed-reading to work for
              a couple of years now. My experience is that it comes in stages.
              Also, my efforts tend to go through phases of greater and lesser
              (zero) activity. Newspapers are a big help - there's a lot of stuff
              in them that one just wants to get through, plus they have convenient
              narrow columns. I suggest you buy a paper every day and consciously
              decide to speed-read a particular section. Also, every now and again,
              pick up a book that you have already read and say, "I'm going to
              speed-read this." Don't put it down until you're through.

              All of these techniques take application and some time to master. I
              think the main thing is not to give up. If you get stuck, do
              something else for a while and come back to it, rather than acquiring
              a "failure" mindset.

              Chengxiang:

              As a native user of a non-Latin alphabet, are you actually concerned
              about the "correct" spelling of your name?

              I suspect that your note-taking difficulty is not restricted to
              MindMaps. If you tried to take conventional notes, I imagine the
              difficulty might be even greater. I'm a native English-speaker, and I
              still have problems making notes "on the fly"! I suggest you
              definitely stick to using MindMaps, but keep them minimalist until
              you are up to speed. The skeleton that you create can then be
              reviewed immediately after the lecture and will itself "bootstrap"
              you into its own completion, by helping you to review and remember
              what you have just heard. This is part of how MindMaps work, and has
              the added advantage of encouraging you to make a review at a
              strategic time - an hour after the information first starts to arrive.

              Best wishes, one and all...
              Elliott

            • Jessica Atreides
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2000
                A few tips from my experience in speed reading. I had a very
                ecclectic teacher when I was age 15; as punishment for being late he
                required his students to draw 10 ying-yangs for every minute that
                they were deliquent from class. I sort of enjoyed doing this as it
                became a time to focus my mind after a good gossip session with
                friends in the corridor. That is neither here nor there, he
                introduced me to the following method which worked well...

                The method was to project slides from a slide projector on to the
                wall. Commencing with slides containing one word, I increased the
                advancement speed of the projector. When I mastered those, I added in
                slides with three words, when I got up to speed I then used slides
                with up to 8 words on them. I also used a metronome at each level.
                Makesure you use lower case characters on the slides it is useless to
                do this exercise in all uppercase.

                On the drive into work today, thinking about speed reading conjured
                up a new project for myself: that it would be a good idea to do a web
                lesson for speed reading using Macromedia Flash which allows
                adjustment of the frames per second of each movie. This
                technologically advanced method is far superior to procuring a
                projector and the slides. The speed reading movie could also be
                distributed and used off-line.

                Would anyone be willing to pay for this service?

                jA
              • Mattias Johansson
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2000
                  The Acereader software already does this. (acereader.com) However, an online
                  training would not be a bad idea. I would gladly offer you free web space on
                  my server. Your address would be www.smartsmartsmart.com/speedreading, or
                  similar. I would be extremely happy if you would be the editor for the
                  speed-reading section. And for the revenue, don't expect people to pay for
                  it, especially since ace reader is shareware, but instead take the ad
                  revenue. If the smart3 (smartsmartsmart.com) site is able to generate a
                  total of 5000+ hits per month, we will be able to use pay-per-view banners,
                  so every time someone looks at the page, you will get a small amount of
                  money. Let me know if you are interested.