RE: [wwbc] Photoreading

  • Ken Little
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2000
      Gustav,

      You can read some of the member's responses on Photoreading by looking back
      at the discussions of this group on 11/3/99 and 11/5/99.

      Kind Regards,

      Ken Little
      Birmingham, AL USA
      ken.little@...
      www.geocities.com/kelcom2000

    • Victor Cova
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 12, 2003
        Let's clear up the things:
        Photoreading, of course, is NOT speed reading... It's Photoreading! It
        does NOT concentrate onthe speed of the movements of the eye, nor on
        the speed in wich your reading. It's, like Paul Scheele says, a "whole
        mind system". It teaches you how to read differently, not faster. There
        are 5 stages in the process:
        1) Prepare: You relax and get confortable , set goals...
        2) Preview: You try to see the organisation of the book, look for
        trigger-words, and reajust your goals
        3)Photoread: you look at the page as you would look at those strange
        "Magic Eye" illustration, trying to see through the page rather than to
        see the page, and you "photoread" at a rate of 1age/second (you don't
        read, you barrely see the page, you just... Photoread it!)
        Then you wait for 20min. to 24 hours to let your subconscious mind
        organize what you've read and then you:
        4) Activate: using mind probing, super reading and dipping, getting
        only the informations you need, and MindMapping the informations you
        wanted
        5) Rapid Read, if you think you need it. You automatically get faster,
        as your subconscious mind has already read the material, and you vary
        your speed depending on the content.

        This my sound a little bit strange, and IT IS. But the fact is, you can
        read three to ten times faster, and get only WHAT YOU WANTED! What's
        more, as your subconscious mind has it all when you potoread, you can
        experience what they call "automatic activation", which meanknowing
        something witout knowing you had ever learned it!!! I have finished the
        Personnal Course, and have already read two books that my teacher
        wanted us to read: "Les Misérables" by V.Hugo and "Illusions Perdues"
        by Honoré de Balzac, something like 18000pages, PLUS the books that
        analysis the whole thing (we didn't have to read that), biographies of
        both authors (nor did we have to read this) and a book retracing french
        literature and History during the XIX century (nor this one)... and all
        that in 1/3 of the time my friend used to read only the two first
        books! I have the same understanding of the material as they have, but
        I know a lot about the authors and the period, and had time to do other
        things more interesting! AND I FOUND IT PASSIONING!!!
        You can get the course from Learning Strategies Corporation (2 books, 1
        dictionary,8tapes and 1 "paraliminal" tape) fro a lot of money, OR, if
        U can't afford it (like ... me!) I can tell U (in private) where you
        can get it...

        To conclude on this subject, like our friend and master, His Holliness
        The Great Tony Buzan, would have say, "this is a very brain-friendly
        book!" as it usesmultiple intelligences, both hemispheres of the brain
        AND MINDMAPS, along with speed learning techniques and-almost- hypnosis
        (to let you access the informations you photoread)

        THIS WAS JUST AN INTRODUCTION! there is a lot more to say, and of
        course it is veryprovocative, but IT WORKS! I don't mean I'll use it
        with all kind of materials, but I know I'll save a lot of time and get
        even better marks... I know this may sound like an add, but I'm sooooo
        excited about it, just know that I do NOT sell anything (I almost
        encourage you not to buy it, remember?)

        PhotoReading is not real Speed Reading. And it is not real traditional
        reading. It is something else. Something new. it is to reading what
        MindMaps are to regular linear note-taking and making, what accelerated
        learning is to learning, like London is to the world, and NY to the
        USA... Something different, but better! ;-)
      • JWMeritt@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2004
          << Are you talking about the PhotoReading stage when you PhotoFocus? (You
          flip
          through the pages seeing a blip or the X & noticing the white space around
          the
          paragraphs & in the margins of the page without focusing on the words. You
          use
          a soft focus.) You only have to do it once, but you can do it twice or more.
          You still have to activate the book, by finding out why you want to read the
          book in the first place & then looking for the answers to your questions. >>

          I've done that but it wasn't what I was talking about...

          Jim
        • JWMeritt@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2004
            In a message dated 12/30/2004 1:23:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, Aldo writes:

            > I have tried the photoreading style (scanning) and found it to be
            > false in terms of really teaching anything useful at all. I like the
            > Woody Allen quote someone posted here a while back: "I attended a
            > speed reading course and read War and Peace in ten minutes. Its about
            > Russia!"
            >
            > Interesting. And what is your impression of his later book
            > _Natural_Brilliance_?
            >
            > Jim

          • Aldo
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
              Hi Jim

              I havn't come across that book. Whats it about?

              Cheers
              Aldo

            • JWMeritt@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
                In a message dated 01/01/2005 2:25:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Aldo" <
                aldolilly8@...> asked:

                > I havn't come across that book. Whats it about?
                >
                > His next book. Besides containing the procedures for 'traditional'
                > photoreading, it contains additional information on adapting similar procedures for
                > the acquisition of involuntary actions (i.e. skills and talents, sorta) I was
                > wondering about observed effectiveness. Pretty cover...
                >
                > Jim

              • aytekin_mahmut
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 21, 2007
                  Hi guys,

                  i was researching on speed reading for a couple of days now and i came
                  across a reading technique called photoreading. from my brief research
                  i found out that it is reading with the subconscious mind rather than
                  the conscious mind. by reading with the subconscious mind you read
                  20000 words minimum per minute by taking a mental photoshot of the page.

                  Is this really possible? please give your opinions and if you have
                  experiences with this technique put them up.

                  Best wishes to you all
                  Mahmut Aytekin
                • ph95mc
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 22, 2007
                    I've said this before, but this topic does seem to keep coming up, so
                    I thought longer members of the list wouldn't mind me repeating
                    myself! What most speed reading courses in fact seem to teach
                    (although they disguise that this is what they're doing) is skimming -
                    a useful skill, but nothing miraculous. If you want to know something
                    about how reading works, what speed reading teaches, and how
                    successful it is, I have an article on speed reading on my site at
                    <http://www.memory-key.com/StudySkills/speedreading.htm> .

                    Also, as has also been said before, in the forum at the Learning
                    Strategies site, many people have reported that photoreading helped
                    them, but this is of course a self-selected group, so this is not
                    surprising. It would be more interesting if these people (a)had been
                    surveyed beforehand to find out how well/poorly they read, and what
                    strategies (if any) they used, and (b) had tried other training
                    methods. Some comments I read on the forum do suggest that, as with
                    speed reading, the technique is regarded more highly by those who had
                    never learned/been taught good reading skills in the first place.

                    Fiona

                    Dr Fiona McPherson
                    The Memory Key
                    For information about memory and memory improvement
                    <http://www.memory-key.com>

                    TO SUBSCRIBE to my FREE newsletter, email:
                    <mailto:admin@...>

                  • GraphitePncl@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 22, 2007
                      Don't get hung up on the speed. It's not a speed reading program, although,
                      by applying the techniques, you use both your unconscious & conscious mind,
                      you will learn faster & remember much more easier of what you read. It's like
                      going to the supermarket & you ask yourself, what aisle are the apples in.
                      Then, you look for the answer, which is in aisle 10. It's really that simple.
                      As you keep reading in layers, you get more info. that you are looking for.
                      Starting from general to specific. If you need help, or want to ask questions,
                      go to the Photoreading forum, at _www.learningstrategies.com_
                      (http://www.learningstrategies.com)

                      Toby

                      _Photoreading _
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwbc/message/20593;_ylc=X3oDMTJyMjVzM25mBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEwNzMyNDQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNDQ4BG1zZ0lkA
                      zIwNTkzBHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzExNjk0NjY3MjE-)
                      Posted by: "aytekin_mahmut" _maho_is@... _
                      (mailto:maho_is@...?Subject= Re:Photoreading) _aytekin_mahmut _
                      (http://profiles.yahoo.com/aytekin_mahmut)
                      Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:50 pm (PST)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007
                          Fiona, I agree with at least a lot of what you said. Checked the site. Thanks for the info.

                          P.

                          ph95mc <fiona@...> wrote:
                          I've said this before, but this topic does seem to keep coming up, so
                          I thought longer members of the list wouldn't mind me repeating
                          myself! What most speed reading courses in fact seem to teach
                          (although they disguise that this is what they're doing) is skimming -
                          a useful skill, but nothing miraculous. If you want to know something
                          about how reading works, what speed reading teaches, and how
                          successful it is, I have an article on speed reading on my site at
                          <http://www.memory-key.com/StudySkills/speedreading.htm> .

                          Also, as has also been said before, in the forum at the Learning
                          Strategies site, many people have reported that photoreading helped
                          them, but this is of course a self-selected group, so this is not
                          surprising. It would be more interesting if these people (a)had been
                          surveyed beforehand to find out how well/poorly they read, and what
                          strategies (if any) they used, and (b) had tried other training
                          methods. Some comments I read on the forum do suggest that, as with
                          speed reading, the technique is regarded more highly by those who had
                          never learned/been taught good reading skills in the first place.

                          Fiona

                          Dr Fiona McPherson
                          The Memory Key
                          For information about memory and memory improvement
                          <http://www.memory-key.com>

                          TO SUBSCRIBE to my FREE newsletter, email:
                          <mailto:admin@...>

                          --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "aytekin_mahmut" <maho_is@...> wrote:

                          > Hi guys,
                          >
                          > i was researching on speed reading for a couple of days now and i came
                          > across a reading technique called photoreading. from my brief research
                          > i found out that it is reading with the subconscious mind rather than
                          > the conscious mind. by reading with the subconscious mind you read
                          > 20000 words minimum per minute by taking a mental photoshot of the page.
                          >
                          > Is this really possible? please give your opinions and if you have
                          > experiences with this technique put them up.
                          >
                          > Best wishes to you all
                          > Mahmut Aytekin

                        • Fiona McPherson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 29, 2007