[wwbc] Re: Hi there!

  • Lynda Coles
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 29, 2000
      Hi She,

      Sounds like you should go and visit my daughters old school and teach them a
      thing or two - they HAD to do all their written notes using a 'Berol
      Handwriting Pen in Black' or else. I was so tempted to smuggle lurid green
      and pink pens in my daughters rucksack, and bin all those horrible black
      ones...
    • Keith
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 2, 2000
        Hi again, John:

        > >2. Discernment is your responsibility.<
        > This depends if I have all the data or not. The carpet salesman may
        > influence me into buying one of his products. If he admits up front that
        the
        > carpets are woven by children in India who are effectively slaves being
        > robbed of their formative years then my decision would be different! If he
        > doesn't tell me then it may be good business practice but I would feel
        > manipulated nonetheless. Of course, you could argue that I should have
        asked
        > but isn't it difficult to know what the right questions are?

        Far be it from a gentle soul like me to argue, but...
        You could put me in a headlock after we've played an hour of full court
        basketball and
        you still won't change my mind about this one. If you don't know what
        information you need,
        how can you expect the speaker to know? Beside, there are too many variables
        to make
        discernment anyone's job other than the listener.

        The speaker may be insane.
        The speaker may be ignorant.
        The speaker may be deceived.
        The speaker may be dishonest.

        You just can't count on others to provide full disclosure. You've got to be
        discerning. (I'll spare the list the details of how I was enormously
        deceived earlier in life and how that burned this belief into my brain.)

        > >You might be surprised to learn that I picked that idea up from the
        United
        > >States Marine Corps NCO Training Manual when I was a sergeant in the
        Corps.
        > Is that where the saying "swear like troopers" comes from? :)

        Marines don't have troopers, so probably not, though it would be well
        deserved.
        I said they taught it, not that anyone listened. :-)

        > If I've interpreted your posts correctly then I
        > assume you would tend to estimate the value of a person who swears lower
        > than one who doesn't. What about all the other flaws - deserting your
        > family, adultery, drug abuse?

        No, I'm not talking about comparative or personal value, but the value of
        the specific behavior. Obviously, I wouldn't set a positive value on the
        other behaviors you listed either.

        > >So ... swearing is a sign of immaturity?
        > Ouch! You got me there! Could be you're right. What about all those
        immature
        > Americans starting up Internet companies and becoming trillionaires
        > overnight? I mean the kind of immaturity associated with innocence, lack
        of
        > preconceived ideas, creative provcation etc.

        Huh?

        Keith Gardner
        Pastor
        Consultant