Words / bizarre, unsual picture dictionary

  • fahim_shk
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 19, 2009
      Hi,

      I wonder if there is dictionary in which words are converted into unusual, bizarre pictures for memorization. Where could I find a such a dictionary? Is it possible to write one? As we know that to best remember any word, we should convert it into unusual, bizarre, outrageous, non-sensical, funny, absurd, exaggerated pictures. But many a times it happens that pictures are not formed easily, sometimes the pictures are overlapping with previous ones i.e. they are having the similar thoughts. Also sometimes the unsual pictures or events couldn't be thought of and many a times it takes long time to mentally think of unusual, bizarre pictures. But if memory experts can write a dictionary on word-picture conversions it would be a handy reference book to quickly find the pictures we need.

      Regards,
      Fahim
    • Oumarou DIA
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 19, 2009
        I am not personally aware of such dictionary and do not think it exists, but you never know.

        I personally get my ideas of weird and bizzare pictures by watching the cartoon network. I pay attention to every detail and I find it great.

        Best wishes,

        [ODia]

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 19, 2009
          Fahim,

                Your comment about people not being able to make up bizarre, nutty, wild, oddball
          and comic images  taking too much time to mentally create is one of the main reasons people
          refuse to use mnemonics after a few attempts.   They find out creating fantasy is
          too much work.   Therefore there must me a concerted effort by somebody or group
          to create oftware that will help in the mnemonic creation process.   I am willing to
          help get this procress started.  I some ideas on what might work using some databases
          already available.
                Medical students are the only group of people who I have monitored since about
          1997 that really make good use of mnemonics in their studies.   They have so much
          to learn are are desparate for methods to retain information in a limited amount of
          time.
               In the meantime check out the site  http://thebizzare.com/%c2%a0 it might give you
          some creative ideas or thoughts.  You can e-mail me at the address listed below.

          Frank Hopkins
          Frank77477@...
          Houston, Tx

          ________________________________
          I wonder if there is dictionary in which words are converted into unusual, bizarre pictures for memorization. Where could I find a such a dictionary? Is it possible to write one? As we know that to best remember any word, we should convert it into unusual, bizarre, outrageous, non-sensical, funny, absurd, exaggerated pictures. But many a times it happens that pictures are not formed easily, sometimes the pictures are overlapping with previous ones i.e. they are having the similar thoughts. Also sometimes the unsual pictures or events couldn't be thought of and many a times it takes long time to mentally think of unusual, bizarre pictures. But if memory experts can write a dictionary on word-picture conversions it would be a handy reference book to quickly find the pictures we need.

          Regards,
          Fahim

        • Sven Wetzel
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28, 2009
            How can one not be able to make a fantasy picture in a world of signs?

            Yours
            Sven

            Frank Hopkins wrote:

            > Fahim,
            >
            > Your comment about people not being able to make up bizarre,
            > nutty, wild, oddball
            > and comic images taking too much time to mentally create is one of
            > the main reasons people
            > refuse to use mnemonics after a few attempts. They find out creating
            > fantasy is
            > too much work. Therefore there must me a concerted effort by
            > somebody or group
            > to create oftware that will help in the mnemonic creation process. I
            > am willing to
            > help get this procress started. I some ideas on what might work using
            > some databases
            > already available.
            > Medical students are the only group of people who I have
            > monitored since about
            > 1997 that really make good use of mnemonics in their studies. They
            > have so much
            > to learn are are desparate for methods to retain information in a
            > limited amount of
            > time.
            > In the meantime check out the site http://thebizzare.com/
            > <http://thebizzare.com/> it might give you
            > some creative ideas or thoughts. You can e-mail me at the address
            > listed below.
            >
            > Frank Hopkins
            > Frank77477@... <mailto:Frank77477%40yahoo.com>
            > Houston, Tx
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Frank Hopkins
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
              Sven Wetzel,

                      Could you please go into a little more detail about what you mean.  Maybe
              give me an example.  I assume you live in Denmark or maybe Germany??

              Frank Hopkins
              Houston, Tx
              USA

              ________________________________

              Frank Hopkins wrote:

              > Fahim,
              >
              > Your comment about people not being able to make up bizarre,
              > nutty, wild, oddball
              > and comic images taking too much time to mentally create is one of
              > the main reasons people
              > refuse to use mnemonics after a few attempts. They find out creating
              > fantasy is
              > too much work. Therefore there must me a concerted effort by
              > somebody or group
              > to create oftware that will help in the mnemonic creation process. I
              > am willing to
              > help get this procress started. I some ideas on what might work using
              > some databases
              > already available.
              > Medical students are the only group of people who I have
              > monitored since about
              > 1997 that really make good use of mnemonics in their studies. They
              > have so much
              > to learn are are desparate for methods to retain information in a
              > limited amount of
              > time.
              > In the meantime check out the site http://thebizzare. com/
              > <http://thebizzare. com/> it might give you
              > some creative ideas or thoughts. You can e-mail me at the address
              > listed below.
              >
              > Frank Hopkins
              > Frank77477@yahoo. com <mailto:Frank77477% 40yahoo.com>
              > Houston, Tx
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • fahim_shk
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 30, 2009
                Hi Frank,

                Thanks for the info. Mnemonist Ed Cooke is also working on such a software. Its in a beta phase. You can check at www.memrise.com

                Let me know if you have more info on my question.

                Regards,

                -- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, Frank Hopkins <frank77477@...> wrote:

                > Fahim,
                >
                >       Your comment about people not being able to make up bizarre, nutty, wild, oddball
                > and comic images  taking too much time to mentally create is one of the main reasons people
                > refuse to use mnemonics after a few attempts.   They find out creating fantasy is
                > too much work.   Therefore there must me a concerted effort by somebody or group
                > to create oftware that will help in the mnemonic creation process.   I am willing to
                > help get this procress started.  I some ideas on what might work using some databases
                > already available.
                >       Medical students are the only group of people who I have monitored since about
                > 1997 that really make good use of mnemonics in their studies.   They have so much
                > to learn are are desparate for methods to retain information in a limited amount of
                > time.
                >      In the meantime check out the site  http://thebizzare.com/%c2%a0 it might give you
                > some creative ideas or thoughts.  You can e-mail me at the address listed below.
                >
                > Frank Hopkins
                > Frank77477@...
                > Houston, Tx
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Frank Hopkins
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 30, 2009
                    Fahim,
                         Thanks for the information about Ed Cooke's project.
                         Where you able to finde the book of unusual pictures you
                            were looking for?

                  Frank Hopkins
                  Houston, Tx
                  USA

                  ________________________________
                  Let me know if you have more info on my question.

                  Regards,

                  -- In wwbc@yahoogroups. com, Frank Hopkins <frank77477@ ...> wrote:

                  > Fahim,
                  >
                  >       Your comment about people not being able to make up bizarre, nutty, wild, oddball
                  > and comic images  taking too much time to mentally create is one of the main reasons people
                  > refuse to use mnemonics after a few attempts.   They find out creating fantasy is
                  > too much work.   Therefore there must me a concerted effort by somebody or group
                  > to create oftware  that will help in the mnemonic creation process.   I am willing to
                  > help get this procress started.  I some ideas on what might work using some databases
                  > already available.
                  >       Medical students are the only group of people who I have monitored since about
                  > 1997 that really make good use of mnemonics in their studies.   They have so much
                  > to learn are are desparate for methods to retain information in a limited amount of
                  > time.
                  >      In the meantime check out the site  http://thebizzare. com/  it might give you
                  > some creative ideas or thoughts.  You can e-mail me at the address listed below.
                  >
                  > Frank Hopkins
                  > Frank77477@. ..
                  > Houston, Tx
                  >

                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                • Sven Wetzel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2009
                    Hello Frank,

                    it is easy to see a fantasy picture of everything you see in your world
                    (in your house/ on your body etc...) . When you see for example a cake
                    and you close your eyes do you see nothing? Because our eyes have seen
                    the cake long enough to have a picture of it in our inner eyes in 99%
                    of the cases you must see it when you close your eyes. When you have
                    trouble and the day was miserable then it could be that you see anything
                    else maybe your partner or a flower or nothing.

                    It is so that your fantasy is a soft skill and could be made better with
                    training. So for me I train it when I want to understand abstract things
                    for example when I make a inner picture of a computer model ( I am a IT
                    Professional) and look how I can solve a abstract problem with help of
                    this picture.

                    And yes I live in south Germany.

                    To your Idea of a mnemorization dictionary: You can make it a example
                    thing for people but no two persons wanted to accept the same picture
                    for the same fact. I read every Mnemonics book I can get and every Book
                    have the same techniques with different codings or rules. But all have
                    the same beginning in Greece or have the same history. So when you
                    wanted to have a good starting point for self study I wanted a
                    application that can give me the answer in my favorite system/s.
                    I have seen that xml/xslt is for such a thing a good Language.
                    When you wanted to try a simple thing with xml/xslt you can find a
                    Language called yml/yslt on : http://fdik.org/yml/ . It is a Language
                    that translates with the help of python to xml/xslt .

                    I have written plugins for tiddlywiki in javascript that can help with
                    the creation of loci (location based mnemorization) , list mnemorization
                    , and mnemorization with own sem3 numbers/assoziation. At the moment
                    they make usage of a training software library from
                    http://mnemorization.com . But only to review/train for the user the
                    learning facts. But they can live without that library then you can at
                    the moment only list the assoziation. And the training part must then be
                    solved in an extra step.

                    Then you want you can contact me over this list or over xanatoswetzel AT
                    googlemail.com to brainstorm what can be possible to make this alive.

                    Your
                    Sven Wetzel

                    Frank Hopkins wrote:

                    > Sven Wetzel,
                    >
                    > Could you please go into a little more detail about what you
                    > mean. Maybe
                    > give me an example. I assume you live in Denmark or maybe Germany??
                    >
                    > Frank Hopkins
                    > Houston, Tx
                    > USA
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • fahim_shk
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                      Hi Sven Wetzel,

                      Can't understand. Could you please explain in simpler terms.

                      Thanks,
                      Fahim.

                      --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, Sven Wetzel <xanatoswetzel@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Frank,
                      >
                      > it is easy to see a fantasy picture of everything you see in your world
                      > (in your house/ on your body etc...) . When you see for example a cake
                      > and you close your eyes do you see nothing? Because our eyes have seen
                      > the cake long enough to have a picture of it in our inner eyes in 99%
                      > of the cases you must see it when you close your eyes. When you have
                      > trouble and the day was miserable then it could be that you see anything
                      > else maybe your partner or a flower or nothing.
                      >
                      > It is so that your fantasy is a soft skill and could be made better with
                      > training. So for me I train it when I want to understand abstract things
                      > for example when I make a inner picture of a computer model ( I am a IT
                      > Professional) and look how I can solve a abstract problem with help of
                      > this picture.
                      >
                      > And yes I live in south Germany.
                      >
                      > To your Idea of a mnemorization dictionary: You can make it a example
                      > thing for people but no two persons wanted to accept the same picture
                      > for the same fact. I read every Mnemonics book I can get and every Book
                      > have the same techniques with different codings or rules. But all have
                      > the same beginning in Greece or have the same history. So when you
                      > wanted to have a good starting point for self study I wanted a
                      > application that can give me the answer in my favorite system/s.
                      > I have seen that xml/xslt is for such a thing a good Language.
                      > When you wanted to try a simple thing with xml/xslt you can find a
                      > Language called yml/yslt on : http://fdik.org/yml/ . It is a Language
                      > that translates with the help of python to xml/xslt .
                      >
                      > I have written plugins for tiddlywiki in javascript that can help with
                      > the creation of loci (location based mnemorization) , list mnemorization
                      > , and mnemorization with own sem3 numbers/assoziation. At the moment
                      > they make usage of a training software library from
                      > http://mnemorization.com . But only to review/train for the user the
                      > learning facts. But they can live without that library then you can at
                      > the moment only list the assoziation. And the training part must then be
                      > solved in an extra step.
                      >
                      > Then you want you can contact me over this list or over xanatoswetzel AT
                      > googlemail.com to brainstorm what can be possible to make this alive.
                      >
                      > Your
                      > Sven Wetzel
                      >

                      > Frank Hopkins wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Sven Wetzel,
                      > >
                      > > Could you please go into a little more detail about what you
                      > > mean. Maybe
                      > > give me an example. I assume you live in Denmark or maybe Germany??
                      > >
                      > > Frank Hopkins
                      > > Houston, Tx
                      > > USA
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • Frank Hopkins
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                        Seven,

                             Ok,  just tell me what you don't understand and I will
                        break it down as best I can for you.

                        Frank Hopkins
                        Houston, Tx
                        USA

                        ________________________________
> [...]

                        > , and mnemorization with own sem3 numbers/assoziation . At the moment
                        > they make usage of a training software library from
                        > http://mnemorizatio n.com . But only to review/train for the user the
                        > learning facts. But they can live without that library then you can at
                        > the moment only list the assoziation. And the training part must then be
                        > solved in an extra step.
                        >
                        > Then you want you can contact me over this list or over xanatoswetzel AT
                        > googlemail.com to brainstorm what can be possible to make this alive.
                        >
                        > Your
                        > Sven Wetzel
                        >

                        > Frank Hopkins wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Sven Wetzel,
                        > >
                        > > Could you please go into a little more detail about what you
                        > > mean. Maybe
                        > > give me an example. I assume you live in Denmark or maybe Germany??

                      • fahim_shk
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 20, 2009
                          Hey Frank,

                          I have found a website on dreams where you could picturize dreams and
                          get some ideas for mental imagination and association http://www.dreammoods.com/dreambank

                          Regards,
                          Fahim

                        • Frank Hopkins
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 20, 2009
                            Fahim

                                 Thanks for the book link.  I will check it out and let
                            you know if it helps me.

                            Frank