Re:mental mastery of calendar dates

  • mnempi
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2009
      Dear Suzanna

      What you are doing is what many have already done before you. You are running up that big big mountain (on www.likanas.de > pi > Können you might find a photo of "Peak Pi") by sheer enthusiasm. Of course you will attain a considerable number of digits, and then you will get lost. One reason for getting lost is that you will start to forget, and you will not know how to organize recall.
      On the other hand I recommend thorough preparation "professional style". A description of my system you can find on www.likanas.de > Zahlen > Englisch. A more detailed description on the same page "Deutsch".
      This is only the outline. To speak about details we run into a problem because the application of the major system depends on language. No use of translating my peg words, I had to create so many new ones in English language.

      Ulrich Voigt

      --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, Suzanna <imaginecreating@...> wrote:

      > I'm very interested in your technique fir the 10,000. I've recently begun learning pi and found I could learn the first 700 or so with a bit of study. I seem to be slowing down now and have been imagining a few different ways to demarcate 100-digit blocks.
      >
      > I was learning about 100 digits every 10 days with good speed and accuracy before I slowed down a bit. (Lots of hours doing other brain-intensive work as well may be why it is slow now.)
      >
      > Are you able to explain in English? Is there any way I could perhaps assist the translation? I would love to continue to see how far I can go with it. My brain seems to devour it.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Suzanna
      >
      > Suzanna Stinnett
      > www.GreatAdaptations.org
      > Your vision is part of the change

    • Suzanna
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2009
        Mr Voigt,
        Thank you for your response! I would love to work with a preparatory system. I will look at what you developed.

        Other benefits of sheer memorization, however, seem to be greater ease of memory in many other areas including language. But I can see there is a limit. Probably around 1000-1300 digits I would be stumped.

        Thank you kindly,
        Suzanna Stinnett

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
          I should add that this paper has a deeper intention. As I think that from the very beginning of Christian computistics and chronology in early 3rd century mental mastery has been a basic element of construction, this paper tries to contribute to a better understanding of the historical object.
          This notably refers to what is called the Gregorian Calendar. Originally this system was presented by Christopher Clavius as a bulky complex of tables. In 1700 the then famous astronomer D. Cassini demanded a reformulation of the Clavius system in terms of mathematical algorithms. In fact Cassini already used a means by which to compute the "Gregorian" moon by mental calculation, and it was exactly this algorithm which was missed by Gauss in 1800, who obviously did not read Cassini. Gauss had to correct himself in 1816 thus integrating "Cassini" into his own system to make it complete.
          The problem with Gauss, who was the first to produce an algorithm for the Easter date, is that Gauss acted purely as a mathematician, not really interested in the (ecclesiastical) subject matter. Consequently Gauss did only present naked algorithms (numbers and letters), and did not shape any concepts to render possible a substitution of the Clavius system by the Gauss system.
          This work (to device a set of concepts for the Gauss system) was only shaped by Heiner Lichtenberg in a series of articles (beginning 1997, Zur Interpretation der Gaußschen Osterformel und ihrer Ausnahmeregeln, in: Historia Mathematica 24, 441-444).
          Now, my paper is an attempt to do a bit better than Lichtenberg by devising a system of concepts which comprise the Gregorian system as well as the Julian-Dionysian system which it was meant to supersede. I have tried to be as economical and as comprehensive as can be.

          Ulrich Voigt

          --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "mnempi" <voigt@...> wrote:

          > On www.likanas.de > Das Jahr im Kopf > HOW TO COMPUTE KEY CALENDAR DATES
          > I put in English language a treatment of the subject matter which is meant in the first place to enable mental calculation and in the second place to pave the way for mnemonic construction. The mathematics is from Das Jahr im Kopf with some corrections and amendments.
          >
          > Ulrich Voigt

        • mnempi
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2009
            Dear Suzanna Stinnet,

            I do not think that there is a fundamental difference between "sheer memorization" and "memorization by use of a preparatory aid". After you have mastered the preparatory help you will always end up with sheer memorization. If, on the other hand, you try to do sheer memorization, you will inevitably use some perhaps unconscious preparatory help. So, if there be any benefit in sheer memorization, we will get it anyway. But the preparatory can be more or less professional.
            If some day I loose the power of sheer memorization, no mnemonic trick whatever will help me anyway.
            The difference is only in the scope and solidity of the learned stuff. A fine praparatory net should help my power of sheer memorization to develop more easily.

            regards