Re: [wwbc] Hidden Numbers

  • This Is Me
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2009
      Hi,

      I found your trick interessant.

      But I don't understand how we can find this hidden number.

      Regards

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14, 2009
        Hi these are the comments I made on the 'trick', hope it will clarify it for you

        Thank you very much you are a genius. And that is what geniuses do; they do the theoretical thinking and then come the regular guys like me toy and struggle with the idea and try to simplify it. What do you think of below?

        1. The idea of 'right' is great, it is the multiplication of the 'rightmost' digits
        2. The idea of 'left' is equally great, it is the multiplication of the 'leftmost' digits
        3. The idea of 'hidden numbers' can be made easier to understand; I propose to call them the 'Center Numbers'. It is the addition of a)the multiplication of the 'innermost numbers in the center' and b) the multiplication of the 'outermost numbers in the center'
        4. Now for the resolution. I may be wrong but I happen not to think that doing math from the left side is 'the more natural way'. What I propose is simply put the 'right' and the 'left' numbers side by side by respecting their right and left positions; once that is done, place underneath the two 'attached numbers' (that is placed side by side) exactly at the center position the 'innermost' multiplication and then underneath, also at the center position the 'outermost' multiplication (the order in which this is done does not matter). Then do the addition and there you get the solution.
        5. Note: when the multiplications yield single digits add a zero in front of them. For instance 6*1 =6 and '6' would be placed as '06'

        Let us illustrate:

        91*93

        left is 81
        Right is 03
        Innermost center is 09
        Outermost center is 27
        Let us 'attach left and right' side by side; we obtain 8103
        Then let us place 09 and 27 underneath the attached digits and do the addition
        8103
        09
        27
        8463

        Many thanks! You are great! If I am wrong or made a mistake please let me know!
        [ODia]

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2009
          Thank you for your interest in my math tricks.  You have some of the concepts understood, but the main thing about this method is to do the work in you head.  All of the work you do should make it possible to understand the order and sequence of the problem.  I hope this example will make it clear once and for all.  34x56    Start from the left, 3x5 is 15.  from the right 4x6 is 24.  Now write down this number 15 and leave space for the second number, 15.   15      24    The 15 is in fact 1500, and the 24 is the middle and last number in the answer.  The center or hidden number is a combination of the inside and outside pairs of numbers.  The outside number is 3x6=18.  The inside number is 4x5=20.  Both number equal 38.  Now, add the 3 of 38 to the 15. 15+3=18.  Attach the 8 of 38 to the new number.  The new number is 188. Now, add the 2 of 24 to 188. 188+2=190. Attach the 4 to the new number for the answer 1904.   You should
          now understand that when I see a problem such as 43x51, I can look at the number and sequence out the add 2193 without writing anything else down.  Please review my original posting and have fun doing the math on paper, and then try to do it in your head.