Re: kids and concentration

  • Dave Bramwell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
      --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "hpringault" <hpringault@...> wrote:

      > how do i get my 6 year old to concentrate more in class and while
      > trying to do homework without resorting to medication? any
      > suggestions...

      Try reading "Smart Moves - why learning is not all in your head" by
      Carla Hannaford,ISBN 0-915556-27-8
      You'll get a good idea of why many things we take ffor granted in the
      school system are just not linked to the child's brain development.

      BTW, Prof. Robert Winston who has done a lot of programs on UK TV
      about children's development questions whether the lack of essential
      oils in modern diet may be linked to concentration problems. One
      suggestion I saw was to give "massive" doses of fish oils..... but
      I'm no doctor, so don't necessarily believe everything I (mis)quote!!

      Cheers

      Dave

      Have fun!!!

      Dave
    • peter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        slap her around a bit. Change her school. What's the brat's problem
        anyway? What does she say when U talk to her about school? Maybe the
        teacher's off his rocker- maybe you're off your rocker- blame
        yourself- blame the school system- maybe her teachers aren't making
        learning fun- maybe she's bullying her teachers- maybe she shouldn't
        be concentrating in such a negative environment (do you live in
        Rawanda?). Why are you considering meds? Are you on meds? Have you
        read that book "the myth of the hyperactive child?" take it easy- walk
        with her in the park- what's the brat supposed to do anyway? recite
        her abc's? play mozart on piano? tell her NOT to pay attention if she
        already knows the material. That's what I tell my students.