Re: [wwbc] kids and concentration

  • Jayachandran Nair
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2008
      I absolutely agree !!

      http://www.brainy-child.com/article.shtml

      --- On Sun, 12/21/08, Bob Landman <stuurmail@...> wrote:

      From: Bob Landman <stuurmail@...>
      Subject: Re: [wwbc] kids and concentration
      To: wwbc@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, December 21, 2008, 7:04 AM

      Sorry, I can't give you the answer. Simply becouse in my opinion a six year old should not do any homework at all. I don't know where you're from and if it's accepted as normal there, but here in Holland it's not done. When your child has problems with concentration during study, probably the subject or studying at all is something he or she is not interrested in at the moment.
      To turn it into a more wwbclike-answer, I even think that when children can play more and do things they really are interested in they develope a far more creative/intelligen t brain.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "hpringault" <hpringault@...> wrote:

        > how do i get my 6 year old to concentrate more in class and while
        > trying to do homework without resorting to medication? any
        > suggestions...

        Try reading "Smart Moves - why learning is not all in your head" by
        Carla Hannaford,ISBN 0-915556-27-8
        You'll get a good idea of why many things we take ffor granted in the
        school system are just not linked to the child's brain development.

        BTW, Prof. Robert Winston who has done a lot of programs on UK TV
        about children's development questions whether the lack of essential
        oils in modern diet may be linked to concentration problems. One
        suggestion I saw was to give "massive" doses of fish oils..... but
        I'm no doctor, so don't necessarily believe everything I (mis)quote!!

        Cheers

        Dave

        Have fun!!!

        Dave
      • peter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
          slap her around a bit. Change her school. What's the brat's problem
          anyway? What does she say when U talk to her about school? Maybe the
          teacher's off his rocker- maybe you're off your rocker- blame
          yourself- blame the school system- maybe her teachers aren't making
          learning fun- maybe she's bullying her teachers- maybe she shouldn't
          be concentrating in such a negative environment (do you live in
          Rawanda?). Why are you considering meds? Are you on meds? Have you
          read that book "the myth of the hyperactive child?" take it easy- walk
          with her in the park- what's the brat supposed to do anyway? recite
          her abc's? play mozart on piano? tell her NOT to pay attention if she
          already knows the material. That's what I tell my students.