Mike Byster

  • jfm1061
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2007
      Not long ago I saw a website for Mike Byster. He is called the "human
      calculator" He is able to do math in a way I have never seen before.
      The thing that I found interesting was the fact he taught the kids in
      the school to do very difficult math problems. All without paper or
      pen. At mikesmath.com, he shows some impressive techniques, but most
      if not all the ones he shows are common short-cut. I would love to
      learn more, namely how he can teach people to do long multiplcation in
      their head.

      If you can help me out plese reply.

      John
    • Richard Karn-aut-Rahl
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2007
        I would investigate Vedic mathamatics. There are several straightforward
        books available real cheap and online information.
        Also Trachtenberg's method is another one worth looking at. I'm a beginner
        so I can't quite explain if they're related.

        Right now however I can do 3 figure multiplications real quick on pen and
        paper. Sometimes in my head.

        On 8/16/07, jfm1061 <jfm1061@...> wrote:

        > Not long ago I saw a website for Mike Byster. He is called the "human
        > calculator" He is able to do math in a way I have never seen before.
        > The thing that I found interesting was the fact he taught the kids in
        > the school to do very difficult math problems. All without paper or
        > pen. At mikesmath.com, he shows some impressive techniques, but most
        > if not all the ones he shows are common short-cut. I would love to
        > learn more, namely how he can teach people to do long multiplcation in
        > their head.
        >
        > If you can help me out plese reply.
        >
        > John

      • Sven Wetzel
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2007
          I read a book called "Secrets of mental math". The ISBN Number is :
          0-307-33840-1.
          It describes how one can make difficult math calculations only with the
          mind.
          The german translation is named "Mathe Magie" and has the ISBN Number:
          978-3-453-61502-1.
          The book is very good and not complicated written.
          Hope that can help you John.

          Sven

          Richard Karn-aut-Rahl schrieb:

          > I would investigate Vedic mathamatics. There are several straightforward
          > books available real cheap and online information.
          > Also Trachtenberg's method is another one worth looking at. I'm a beginner
          > so I can't quite explain if they're related.
          >
          > Right now however I can do 3 figure multiplications real quick on pen and
          > paper. Sometimes in my head.
          >
          > On 8/16/07, jfm1061 <jfm1061@... <mailto:jfm1061%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Not long ago I saw a website for Mike Byster. He is called the "human
          > > calculator" He is able to do math in a way I have never seen before.
          > > The thing that I found interesting was the fact he taught the kids in
          > > the school to do very difficult math problems. All without paper or
          > > pen. At mikesmath.com, he shows some impressive techniques, but most
          > > if not all the ones he shows are common short-cut. I would love to
          > > learn more, namely how he can teach people to do long multiplcation in
          > > their head.
          > >
          > > If you can help me out plese reply.
          > >
          > > John

        • John Morrison
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2007
            Thanks for your reply. I purchased the book "Secrets
            of mental math". I am working through it at the
            present time. What I was curious about was the way
            Mik e Byster was able to teach students to do
            complicated math problems a high speed, all without
            writing anything down. To my way of thinking, he is
            either a great teacher, or the demonstration was
            "staged" to make his method seem better then it really
            is.

            I have been using memory techniques for over 20 years.
            My skills are good, but I am not able to just lock
            something into my mind without first thinking about
            it.

            One of my goals in life is the be able to do math
            quickly, using only my brain. With pen and paper, I
            am very fast.

            Take care fellow Brain clubbers.

            John

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 18, 2007
              Hello

              is discussed in details. However, the books mentioned so far are a
              good starting point but the reality is that you still need a lot of
              practice to survive.

              At the MC group, you can download a file from George Lane and see how
              far you come :-)

              Given my limited skills, after about 10 hours of practice, I expect my
              number sense or number feeling being limited to 10`000s for anything
              that is not addition, subtraction or root exctraction.

              Sincerely

              Reto