Re: [wwbc] Speed Reading

  • Florencio Cano
    Message 1 of 73 , Dec 18, 2006

      so, in your opinion, when it is recomendable to use speed reading?

      2006/12/18, cmartin336@... <cmartin336@...>:

      > for what purpose do you want to train speed reading ?
      > If you are at school or at university, then I doubt, that speed reading
      > helps, because you have to understand what you read and you have to form as
      > many accociations as possible, with the facts, which you study. And that
      > needs time.
      > If you read belletristik, then it speed reading does also not make much
      > sense, because in general one enjoys to read belletristik and why shorten
      > that enjoyment ?

    • Lee Mills
      Message 73 of 73 , Dec 30, 2006
        Great post, Steve. The course I took in college, which
        only upped my speed by about 25%, was based on the
        Woods technique. This is why, when it came time to
        take the Woods course, it just didn't resonate:
        nothing offered there was new.

        The Berg course that utilized the visual centers of
        the brain's capabilities, as well as encouraging
        analytical thought, really played into things that I'd
        already begun to discover, or knew from Psyc courses.
        It also FELT much more natural than the other courses.
        If I'm not comfortable with a thing, I know that
        chances are I won't use it, unless there's an
        extremely pressing need for it.

        There's a fair bit more to it than the things I
        covered in my post, too. And, he gets to the meat of
        his subject really fast, as opposed to taking weeks.

        One thing I make a practice of doing that I don't see
        taught anywhere, is that I try to find a way to make
        info that bores me interesting to me. I don't think
        you can teach this, though, since people's interests
        differ. We kind of have to find our own way on that.
        All you can do is make others aware that this can be
        done, and that it makes study much easier.

        This is an area of interest for me also.
        First, let me say that I agree with Claus in that you
        can read and learn,
        and then not be able to recall every written word, but
        still be able to
        access the general fund of information. Having said
        that though, I must
        say, my university courses which buttressed reading
        with writing,
        discussion, projects, etc. did "stick with me" better
        through the years.

        I just got SpeedReaderX. It had good reviews on the
        net, and I must say
        that it's a nice tool. I have many speed reading
        books. I find that most
        are based on the Wood stuff. (Evelyn Wood?). THe most
        far out one is
        "Photoreading" where you don't even focus on each
        word--or even each line.
        Just let your peripheral vision "photo glimpse" the
        page and then over night
        the content of the material is supposed to crystallize
        into assessable
        knowledge--at least that's what the author claims.
        Actually I'm a school
        psychologist, so much of my university course work was
        on teaching/learning reading--not speed reading, but
        beginning level reading
        skills. It's actually sortof ironic that the bulk of
        empirical research
        (and there's a TON of it!) suggests that teaching
        phonetically (little bits
        first; bottom-up) is more effective than whole
        language (immersion;
        top-down) for acquiring reading skills. But as many
        speed reading books
        point out, this is antithetical to speed reading.

        Anyway... Last thoughts: Basic cognitive psych 101
        tells us that verbal
        info has to be ATTENDED to and ENCODED to get past
        sort-term memory and into
        long-term. If we read word by word (with little voice
        in head) I would say
        we're encoding 'verbally.' However, IMHO, we don't
        always need to do this
        for the written word. For example, if you're skimming
        the newspaper and
        your first name is in it, it's likely to 'jump out' at
        you. Similarly, the
        words STOP, LOVE, DANGER, or MOM might be ones that
        your brain could
        associate/pair with whatever behavior or feeling they
        correspond to BEFORE
        you're even really aware (at a verbal level) of what
        the word was.... If
        this is true, then the info must be getting encoded
        visually, circumventing
        the language centers of the brain (Werneckie's Area in
        left Temporal
        Lobe??). This shouldn't be too surprising of an
        occurrence considering that
        the visual parts of the brain are way way bigger than
        the language parts
        and, from an evolutionary perspective, are much much
        older. Given these
        half-baked meanderings, it seems like, in as much as
        you are so familiar
        with the words of a given text that each word can be
        meaningfully accessed
        non-verbally, then you can move to visually encoding
        combinations of words
        DANGER (one word) DO NOT ENTER (combination) .

        Okay last thought--really: Don't forget the previous
        poster who indicated
        that level of interest in the subject, prior
        information, energy level, etc,
        etc, are all extremely important in "getting" what you

        T5, WindowsXP, PocketMirror, Anagram, MacrosExpress,
        DateBk6, Bonsai,
        pToolSet, Hi-Launcher, Pedit, MyKbd.

        Do You Yahoo!?