Re: New registered

  • cesaropa12
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
      Thank you Claus. If I understand , for create good images need a
      table of 1000 men animals...In this way there isn't problem of
      interference...I see that you write about the flashcard system. What
      is it? Where I can find information of it?

      My english is poor...

      Hi,

      it is no problem, to use the major system and create a list of
      encoded numbers,
      which is as large as you want it.

      You can also use some tricks, to work with a smaller list:

      For instance you can classes of words, like men, animals, objects
      and verbs.
      With them you can form sentences:
      subject, predicat, object.

      If you encode the figures 0 to 9 for men, for verbs and for objects,
      then you
      already can encode 1000 figures.

      Now you can do the same, but using animals as subjects. Then you get
      another
      list with 1000 numbers.

      The basic problem with this approach is, that each word is used
      several times in
      different sentences and this could cause problems by interference.

      Therefore it is good, not to use all combinations.

      But I never use this method systematically to memorise facts, only
      for facts,
      which are difficulty to memorise otherwise.

      My learning method is the classic one:

      1. Learn carefully a chapter in a study book
      2. Take notes, using a form sheet, in which there is dedicated space
      for the
      main concepts, the important questions, some comments an on the
      bottom of the
      sheet place for a short abstract.
      On the backside of this form sheet I draw a mindmap by heart, to
      check, if I
      have understood all. This is already the first repetition.
      3. If there are to memorise definitions or facts, which are more
      difficulty to
      memorise, then I use a flashcard system.
      If after the 3 repetition I still have problems, I apply mnemonics,
      like
      associative lists, roman room method or the major system, or
      symbolic pictures
      for figures and letters.

      We should not underestimate our natural ability to memorise facts.
      And the
      Leitner flashcard method is very powerful to support it.

      The draw back using the major system for lets say to memorise 1000
      facts, is,
      that you repeat the 1000 facts everytime or you would need to make
      some book
      keeping about your repetions, but this is done automatically by the
      flashcard
      system.

      Therefore my recommendation: Use always the flashcard system for
      book keeping
      and combine it with the mnemonic methods only, if really needed.

      regards

      Claus
    • cmartin336@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
        Hi,

        here is a website with a lot of information about memorization software.

        There are also good explanations of flashcard software. There are available at least about 200 different software programs and one has to check, one one needs.

        I myself use two flashcard programs: SuperMemo and Vtrain.

        Perhaps some other members can also contribute their experience with using flashcard program or mnemonics for studying purposes.

        regards
        Claus

[...]

        Also see the collabarative Mentat Wiki at http://ludism.org/mentat for

        information on how to become a better thinker.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Paul Blankenship
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2006
          I have compiled a number of links for my students on memorization and study techniques.
          I have been reading about accelerated learning for eleven years. I sponsor a club, Memory
          Masters, for my students. My page is:

          http://www.paulblankenship.com/study.html

        • cmartin336@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
            Hello Paul,

            you really have collected quite an exhaustive list of links on your website. I will study them all. Thank you very much.

            regards

            Claus