Re: [wwbc] Re: Reminder Crimes Against America

  • Elliott Bignell
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
      > I assume, that the demagogic politicians have an easy game, because they
      appeal to the group identifying triggers.

      > And then people donĀ“t use their logical thinking.

      It's not so much a matter of "logical" thinking as being minimally critical.
      Rather than letting one's buttons be pushed, perhaps people could learn to
      think not "what can we do about this evil dictator" but "why does this man
      want us to accept the statement that the subject in question is an evil
      dictator; what's in it for him?" Just question why a politician would make a
      statement apart from because it's true, which we all know (EXCEPT when they
      wave the flag) they almost never do. Follow the money.

      Just realising that we have buttons that are easily pushed and that relate
      to group identity might be enough to make a difference. Just try to think
      for a while without the assumption that the "good guys" wear the same colour
      hats as us - assume you don't know and try to work it out from scratch. This
      is all very simplistic, but then we tend to make a very simple mistake -
      seeing politicians and their works as dishonest except where they happen to
      coincide with what we want to believe.

      Cheers...
      Elliott